Credit Cards

Can credit cards keep posting bills after you cancel your card??

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 20th, 2017 2:33 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6141 posts
1995 upvotes
Thornhill

Can credit cards keep posting bills after you cancel your card??

if I had some pre-authorized payments and then I canceled the card, a month later Amex sent me a bill, even though I cancelled the card. Is that legal? I was under impression(and via my past Visa experience where the charge just doesn't go through) once you CANCEL the card, it's not working so they can't bill you as the CC number does not exist. Because if not, this opens up to a whole new world of credit card scams where someone can dig through your trash, find out your cc number of the cut up card and then start charging you preauthorized payments. 2 years ago when I canceled one of my visa with 1 pre-authorized bill, the charge did not go through. Something is wrong with Amex and their policies!
I often use voice typing and rarely read what I had typed...
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2967 upvotes
Most people would change their pre-authorized payments to another card before cancelling the existing one so that what you're describing shouldn't happen. You, OTOH, make it sound like you're trying to hide behind a cancelled card to get out of paying legitimate fees.

And, yes, it is legal.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6141 posts
1995 upvotes
Thornhill
Conquistador wrote: You, OTOH, make it sound like you're trying to hide behind a cancelled card to get out of paying legitimate fees.

And, yes, it is legal.
Thanks for the uncalled judgement, you are too kind...
I often use voice typing and rarely read what I had typed...
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4335 posts
554 upvotes
Messed Up Area
Yes they can and can charge you interest, and they could charge extra fees for closed card usage.

Put it this way you authorized account to take $ from credit card, credit card pays it, you pay credit card.

Only if you have cancelled or changed( prior to closing card ) the authorized account from taking from this credit card, you owe nothing.

But since you didn't cancel or change authorized account you are 100% liable.

simple, pay it and change/cancel authorized account
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
8842 posts
1780 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
The pre authorized charges are between you and the company you are paying. A credit card company is not privy to that agreement so many keep accepting the charges since they cannot cancel the agreement that they are not privy to. Obviously it is up to you to change your automatic payments.

I think many credit cards after you cancel, stay active for up to a year after the last transaction for this reason. So always best to make sure you change all your automatic payments before canceling a card.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
7490 posts
7620 upvotes
The Prairies
The only way to "cancel" a card so it can never be charged on again, is to report it stolen.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
1420 posts
321 upvotes
New Tecumseth, ON
dazz wrote: if I had some pre-authorized payments and then I canceled the card, a month later Amex sent me a bill, even though I cancelled the card. Is that legal? I was under impression(and via my past Visa experience where the charge just doesn't go through) once you CANCEL the card, it's not working so they can't bill you as the CC number does not exist. Because if not, this opens up to a whole new world of credit card scams where someone can dig through your trash, find out your cc number of the cut up card and then start charging you preauthorized payments. 2 years ago when I canceled one of my visa with 1 pre-authorized bill, the charge did not go through. Something is wrong with Amex and their policies!
Anything related to finances or personal information should be shredded, not just tossed in the recycling bin.
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Sep 6, 2016
756 posts
294 upvotes
IT is Amex

Mastercard didn't

But Amex is working like that...
Like they care about you...Smiling Face With Horns :twisted:
Public Mobile $35 / 4GB LTE a month forever!
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1454 upvotes
Richmond
This came up a few years ago in a TV news investigation into the issue of people trying to cancel unwanted gym memberships. The major Canadian credit card companies were asked whether they would continue to process charges made to a canceled credit card, and the all confirmed that yes they would. If the charge is fraudulent, you can always try to get it canceled, but in a grey area where the merchant claims that they have your signature on file agreeing to a pre-authorized payment, the credit card companies will pass the charge on to you and decline to intervene in what they consider to be a dispute between you and the merchant.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
3462 posts
3313 upvotes
Montreal
When you cancelling Amex card, the agent will tell you to cancel/change pre-authorized payment...
You are requested to destroy your Card (as you have a Chip & PIN enabled Card, you must cut through the Chip to destroy it). Using the Card after it is cancelled would reactivate the Card and you remain responsible for all charges.

You are also requested to contact any Merchant that may use your Card account number for pre-authorized billing and advise them that your Card has been cancelled. Please ask them to cease all billings:

+ monthly/quarterly/annual billings
+ membership subscriptions
+ cellular phones
+ Internet provides
+ fitness centers
+ travel agents

If at all, you change your mind and wish to continue using the Card, you would be requested to apply for new Card.

Also, the paperless statement feature on your account will be cancelled automatically.

We communicate the above mentioned information to ensure that even canceling your American Express Card becomes a smooth experience for you.