• Last Updated:
  • Aug 28th, 2021 3:02 pm
[OP]
Apr 6, 2015
202 posts
142 upvotes
SW Ontario

Can’t Find power Source to Light (Pic )

Will sound weird but have tried every possible switch inside house but can’t find what powers this dead light 25 feet above , tried changing bulbs with pole , doesn’t come on , how to fix .. ?
Images
  • 48010802-53D1-4663-903A-8FF606EECDB7.jpeg
  • C12BEBC7-CA34-4543-8B77-A352C8A99902.jpeg
15 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1205 posts
2176 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
If the motion sensor is dead (which is the little box between the lights), any switches or changing of the bulbs won't diagnose the problem of the lights not coming on. You'll likely need a ladder to open the box and test with a multimeter or voltage test pen.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
2067 posts
2265 upvotes
Toronto
Have to agree, need to remove the light and confirm with a multi meter if you have power available at that location.

You checked all your fuses in the panel....

Please be careful it looks very high, tie yourself off as you will need your hands to be up there confirming.

As it is you have to have a switch somewhere that when toggled on and off turns nothing on, that is likely the switch to this light....and the sensor itself is pooched. Possible you can have a box with only a cover plate as the circuit is wired on permanently, if that is the case it is always live and checking voltage will figure out your problem with a bad sensor.
Last edited by Ballroomblitz1 on Aug 26th, 2021 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
[OP]
Apr 6, 2015
202 posts
142 upvotes
SW Ontario
fordmaple wrote: If the motion sensor is dead (which is the little box between the lights), any switches or changing of the bulbs won't diagnose the problem of the lights not coming on. You'll likely need a ladder to open the box and test with a multimeter or voltage test pen.
Yes I know that but how to find the source ,which powers it ,can’t find any switch on /off inside house ,every damm switch has corresponding light which works with them .
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
2067 posts
2265 upvotes
Toronto
Could be wired to be live all the time, not the way I would do but possible I have seen worse. For me I would have placed an additional box, hard wired with blank cover plate....but to each their own.

Turn off the main power, open box, turn on main power and check voltage. Hopefully that will tell you if power is present and it is a bad sensor. If no power then you will need to do further research....but I would do that first myself.

Again be careful, if not comfortable with heights or electrical get someone in and be safe.
May 10, 2006
129 posts
74 upvotes
That light is most likely "straight power" as alot of photocell and motion sensor fixtures are. There is not a switch controlling the fixture. The motion sensor/photocell "acts" like a switch.

Before opting to replace anything,

1. Double check the sensitivity on the motion sensor (the little dial on the sensor) as well as the little sliding switch beside the dial. See if there is a "test" mode on the sliding switch. Because of the height the motion sensor must be set to very sensitive to trigger.

2. Make sure it is not a combo motion sensor/ photocell. If it does have a photocell, the light will not activate unless it is dark out.

3. Test with 100% working bulbs

There is most likely power in the rab box so proceed with caution especially at heights.
Jul 19, 2015
43 posts
38 upvotes
Victoria, BC
In case it needs saying, if it is wired with no switch, a breaker will be the default power "switch". But you can't find the breaker easily without that light working. Exposing the connection to house wiring gives you something you can test.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9957 posts
4239 upvotes
Vaughan
Whoa OP, who would put security light up there? Difficult to change bulb or fixture that high.
Dec 26, 2012
631 posts
562 upvotes
Hamilton
teoconca wrote: Whoa OP, who would put security light up there? Difficult to change bulb or fixture that high.
people do weird things to their houses. Source: Me, bought a house with a lot of weird stuff like this (not this exactly though) and needs correcting.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9957 posts
4239 upvotes
Vaughan
Cowboy905 wrote: people do weird things to their houses. Source: Me, bought a house with a lot of weird stuff like this (not this exactly though) and needs correcting.
Yeah, sorry you have to fix/correct these things.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3513 posts
1704 upvotes
Mississauga
teoconca wrote: Whoa OP, who would put security light up there? Difficult to change bulb or fixture that high.
Tons of houses with soffit potlights, this is no different .. everyone bitches when it comes time to change them.
Last edited by TLSRULZ on Aug 27th, 2021 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9957 posts
4239 upvotes
Vaughan
TLSRULZ wrote: Tons of houses with soffit portlights, this is no different .. everyone bitches when it comes time to change them.
I don't care how many houses. It doesn't mean anything. I will never done that to my house (for me and any future buyers).
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3513 posts
1704 upvotes
Mississauga
On mine the lights end up beside a openable window and I can do it from inside.. and also standing on my garage roof. Not that much of an issue. Plus LEDs are forever right Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
2067 posts
2265 upvotes
Toronto
TLSRULZ wrote: Tons of houses with soffit portlights, this is no different .. everyone bitches when it comes time to change them.
Luckily most lights today are LED, and yes i would also complain every single time haha.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
4933 posts
1828 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
Some or all of the sensor lights have a capability of changing the functionality, such as setting it to stay on. It's possible some may have an off function. Flipping the light switch on/off changes the function. Maybe the former owner set it to off, if it has that function. Usually powering it off for a period of time resets the motion detector light. Try turning all the breakers off for a full minute in the evening when dark, then switch them back on. Then go outside and see if it will come on with your motion.
[OP]
Apr 6, 2015
202 posts
142 upvotes
SW Ontario
Tx Guys for chipping in , couldn’t go above 15 feet , will hire someone to fix it , ht is too much not worth of breaking bones .