Automotive

Can a dealer refuse a lease buyout? (Going over KM limit)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 19th, 2019 8:50 am
[OP]
Dec 31, 2010
888 posts
349 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Can a dealer refuse a lease buyout? (Going over KM limit)

I am leasing an Acura ILX and am realizing that with the way I've been driving, it is very likely that I will go over the allotted KM limit by a lot and each additional KM is 12 cents.
My lease is 80k/4 years, and I am projecting that realistically I might be closer to 100k at the rate that I am going which is another 2,400$ plus tax..
I do like this car and am considering buying it out at the end, but are there any circumstances where a dealer may refuse the buyout and force me to pay the overage fees?
Are there any other solutions to this dilemma? Thanks..
4 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3766 posts
2680 upvotes
Toronto
No, the bank owns it not the dealer, they could care less and it won’t be refused
FreezingCanada wrote: We voted him in as God of RFD last month. Where were you during elections...?
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13648 posts
7780 upvotes
Toronto
if you buy it out (per your lease agreement) there are no extra mileage fees. You would only pay the excess KM fees if you want to return the vehicle.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15698 posts
13425 upvotes
Richmond Hill
If you were to lease or purchase another car the excess mileage charge magically disappears.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2959 posts
2860 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
EP32k2 wrote: If you were to lease or purchase another car the excess mileage charge magically disappears.
Yeah if it means closing a new sale you'd be surprised how much can be overlooked. OP if you want to lease a new car then don't stress too much about it but keep the buyout option in the back of your mind if they don't play ball.