Automotive

Can a dealer sell a car with a lien on it?

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2018 4:18 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Jun 2, 2016
48 posts
13 upvotes

Can a dealer sell a car with a lien on it?

In mississauga we put a deposit on a car we found for a good price. A 2010 suzuki sx4 for only $4500 with safety from a fairly large dealer. The carproof showed one glass claim and one lien in ontario. Dealer told us at auction they cant sell cars with liens, and that the carproof info was from the date march 2015. Should I be skeptical or is the story true?
8 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
31369 posts
18022 upvotes
Toronto
Go to MTO and get the UVIP and see for yourself
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6341 posts
3840 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone could sell any car with pending loan payments. It's up to the buyer whether to buy it or not. The previous owner could continue to pay the existing loan, however you are on the hook if they do not and when financial institution wants their car back, your car might get repo.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jun 20, 2015
689 posts
186 upvotes
Place
dealerships can't sell cars with lien as per OMVIC regulations.
Good luck!
Newbie
Nov 26, 2014
53 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I thought no one can sell car with lien in Ontario?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15089 posts
2679 upvotes
User857544 wrote: In mississauga we put a deposit on a car we found for a good price. A 2010 suzuki sx4 for only $4500 with safety from a fairly large dealer. The carproof showed one glass claim and one lien in ontario. Dealer told us at auction they cant sell cars with liens, and that the carproof info was from the date march 2015. Should I be skeptical or is the story true?
lien-car-bought-used-brand-name-dealership-1198761/

From the archive pages of RFD. It's your money and therefore do your homework. As "booblehead" had said go to MTO and get an UVIP. It's only $20.

merged-can-anyone-run-carproof-carfax-me-941340/

While you are at it, perhaps you can also get a current copy of Carproof/CarFax.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37096 posts
23079 upvotes
Center of Universe
jondeals wrote: I thought no one can sell car with lien in Ontario?
Private sellers can.
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5129 posts
6821 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Why are they showing a carproof from march 2015? What happened between march 2015 to now?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8727 posts
5121 upvotes
ON
er34er34 wrote: Why are they showing a carproof from march 2015? What happened between march 2015 to now?
Cost cutting happened.

Top