Home & Garden

Can deck stripper be applied using a paint sprayer?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 30th, 2020 1:58 pm
[OP]
Aug 7, 2011
10 posts
13 upvotes
GTA

Can deck stripper be applied using a paint sprayer?

gotta strip the deck. typically you would use a roller to apply stripper to the dick or fence surface, but that takes forever. I got a paint sprayer so was wondering if stripper could be applied that way?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1188 posts
580 upvotes
Oshawa
Right out of left field on this one...what do the instructions that come with the product tell you to do?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
8230 posts
4079 upvotes
Paris
I think a key part of the deck washing process is the scrubbing which a sprayer will not do.

I do spray on my deck coating, but I don’t think it’s as durable as a brush based on how I paint other things.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
[OP]
Aug 7, 2011
10 posts
13 upvotes
GTA
Jerico wrote: I think a key part of the deck washing process is the scrubbing which a sprayer will not do.

I do spray on my deck coating, but I don’t think it’s as durable as a brush based on how I paint other things.
Not looking to scrub it with a paint sprayer. Just wondering if it can be applied with a paint sprayer? scrubbing would be done with a brush :) typical tool to apply it (before scrubbing) is the roller. I am wondering if i can utilize a paint sprayer instead (and then scrub it).
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4839 posts
710 upvotes
Calgary
TryAgain wrote: Not looking to scrub it with a paint sprayer. Just wondering if it can be applied with a paint sprayer? scrubbing would be done with a brush :) typical tool to apply it (before scrubbing) is the roller. I am wondering if i can utilize a paint sprayer instead (and then scrub it).
As long as you scrub your lungs too. Stripper is terrible for lungs.
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11246 posts
5699 upvotes
Brampton
Cough wrote: As long as you scrub your lungs too. Stripper is terrible for lungs.
I was thinking the same thing. That shit is Caustic. Spraying it would make it 10x worse, hope they a very good respirator.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15030 posts
4294 upvotes
London
TryAgain wrote: gotta strip the deck. typically you would use a roller to apply stripper to the dick or fence surface, but that takes forever. I got a paint sprayer so was wondering if stripper could be applied that way?
No, cause you'll damage the paint sprayer.

Roll it on a deck using a long extension handle and use a paint brush on the fence. If you use a pump up sprayer, you'll waste a lot of the cleaner

Putting it on is the fast and easy part. The scrubbing part is the hard work.

Get a pressure washer if you want to save time/ effort. Don't use too much water pressure or you'll damage the wood
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1394 posts
222 upvotes
Grimsby
Your neighbours might not be impressed with the spraying, and as noted above your own lungs might object.
Penalty Box
Apr 5, 2013
4652 posts
1828 upvotes
markham
my pressure washer does a great job of stripping on its own no chems needed
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4086 posts
3316 upvotes
Toronto
cardguy wrote: my pressure washer does a great job of stripping on its own no chems needed
Yeah, if the paint is old and already flaking, a pressure washer should be enough and saves a step (applying stripper). A lot easier than hand scrubbing with a brush, too. You just have to watch out that you don't damage the surface of the wood by using too much pressure.
[OP]
Aug 7, 2011
10 posts
13 upvotes
GTA
thanks guys. if i want to just apply the sealer do I need to sand the deck after it's been stripped?