Shopping Discussion

Can expired cineplex movie passes be used in Quebec?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 9th, 2017 8:15 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2007
2539 posts
1304 upvotes

Can expired cineplex movie passes be used in Quebec?

hi there, i have a few of these expired cineplex movie passes for years ago that i forgot to use, just wondering if i should throw them out or save them if i am traveling to montreal/quebec would these be valid passes in the province? think i read somewhere quebec comsumer protection act exempts gift certificates to have expiry dates.
PSN: Sakaban
12 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
2235 posts
1211 upvotes
Montreal
First are you talking about gift cards or movie passes?

In my experience they accept them, even though they expired years ago. The biggest lesson from RFD is to never ask the store if a promotion certificate or gift card is valid or draw attention to yourself. Just give it a try. In almost all cases they will just scan the bar code.

The stupidest thing you can do, is ask them "hey is this movie pass still valid?". I did that once and it caused such a ruckus, they looked at it twice, called the manager and he refused it.

Even if it does get refused, never make a fuss and NEVER EVER draw attention to yourself. Just go in line again and give it to another cashier. I've been using passes from 5 years ago!
Best Deals: Star Alliance Silver without even flying= FREE
Telus CAN/USA Unlimited, CID/VM/SMS 25gb $25/month
Electrolux 527 Washer $300
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2007
2539 posts
1304 upvotes
deal_king wrote: First are you talking about gift cards or movie passes?

In my experience they accept them, even though they expired years ago. The biggest lesson from RFD is to never ask the store if a promotion certificate or gift card is valid or draw attention to yourself. Just give it a try. In almost all cases they will just scan the bar code.

The stupidest thing you can do, is ask them "hey is this movie pass still valid?". I did that once and it caused such a ruckus, they looked at it twice, called the manager and he refused it.

Even if it does get refused, never make a fuss and NEVER EVER draw attention to yourself. Just go in line again and give it to another cashier. I've been using passes from 5 years ago!
Thanks! I am talking about the movie passes I have from Ontario, not gift cards.

That's what I was thinking of doing as well. Just get in line and hand them over without saying anything.
I have around 6 of them. Thinking maybe I should use all 6 and refund 4 to grab some legitimate nonexpired ones as I wont be traveling there that often.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
2235 posts
1211 upvotes
Montreal
Sakaban wrote: Thanks! I am talking about the movie passes I have from Ontario, not gift cards.

That's what I was thinking of doing as well. Just get in line and hand them over without saying anything.
I have around 6 of them. Thinking maybe I should use all 6 and refund 4 to grab some legitimate nonexpired ones as I wont be traveling there that often.
Ok I thought I was an expert on this, but now you've even got me confused. What makes you think your Ontario passes won't work in Quebec or in Ontario or anywhere else in Canada for that matter? Have they been refused in Ontario?

You can use them and refund them to get new unexpired passes, but why would you even go to the trouble? Just use the expired passes. I've used 40-50 and only been refused once.
May 26, 2014
198 posts
276 upvotes
Calgary, Alberta
I work in an Alberta Cineplex theatre we accept expired vouchers such as Costco 2 admins, 2 medium drinks and medium popcorn. Kids vouchers, admin ones. We are told to override any expired vouchers.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2007
2539 posts
1304 upvotes
deal_king wrote: Ok I thought I was an expert on this, but now you've even got me confused. What makes you think your Ontario passes won't work in Quebec or in Ontario or anywhere else in Canada for that matter? Have they been refused in Ontario?

You can use them and refund them to get new unexpired passes, but why would you even go to the trouble? Just use the expired passes. I've used 40-50 and only been refused once.
Cause the Ontario passes have an expiry date. mine says 20-4. I’ve been turned down before so I assumed I can legitimately use it in Quebec without any issues or fuss.

I assumed that was standard that all cineplex in ontario dont accept expired tickets.

According to the cineplex website. There is no extentions to expire dates
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
2235 posts
1211 upvotes
Montreal
Sakaban wrote: Cause the Ontario passes have an expiry date. mine says 20-4. I’ve been turned down before so I assumed I can legitimately use it in Quebec without any issues or fuss.

I assumed that was standard that all cineplex in ontario dont accept expired tickets.

According to the cineplex website. There is no extentions to expire dates
The expiry date is handwritten? Keep trying it at different theatres.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2007
2539 posts
1304 upvotes
deal_king wrote: The expiry date is handwritten? Keep trying it at different theatres.
Yeah there is a box at the back of the passes with a stamp of the date. It is clearly visible. I’ll try in other theatres then. Maybe.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
2235 posts
1211 upvotes
Montreal
Sakaban wrote: Yeah there is a box at the back of the passes with a stamp of the date. It is clearly visible. I’ll try in other theatres then. Maybe.
Ok so we are talking about the same passes. Yes try them elsewhere and with different cashiers.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
5575 posts
3078 upvotes
I believe that a manager has to override as they are expired.

From experience, I have never been turned down with expired ones.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4038 posts
2789 upvotes
Montreal
I think these are count as gift cards since you paid for them (i.e. not promotional), and legally cannot expire in QC. The ones I bought from Costco doesn't have any expiration date on them.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2007
2539 posts
1304 upvotes
jzmtl wrote: I think these are count as gift cards since you paid for them (i.e. not promotional), and legally cannot expire in QC. The ones I bought from Costco doesn't have any expiration date on them.
yea because i read other than quebec and some other provinces, the vouchers have a 2 year expiry date on them and no extensions. so it is up the the discretion on the manager/movie theatre i guess.
thats why I thought maybe even though it expired, i can still try in quebec and be allowed to use them as legally they cannot turn them down.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
4784 posts
1923 upvotes
Vancity
I've used like 20 tickets 2 yrs. after "expiration." The manager just did an over-ride because the tickets weren't scanable. It'd be foolish for the theater to deny the already paid for tickets. They don't want to risk bad press or angry customers.
signature closed for renovation