• Jul 6th, 2020 6:36 pm
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
7876 posts
3143 upvotes
Financial District B…
haliwood wrote: It's not about whether a debt has to be proven in court,
That is not what you said above.
You clearly stated collection reports are not legitimate unless they are proven in court.

Lets repeat what you said:
haliwood wrote: Credit bureaus are private entities which essentially allow creditors, whether legitimate or not, to bypass due process ...... unproven in any court.
Reporting an uncollected claim is a process within itself as one of the many remedies under default rules.

haliwood wrote: but whether it could ever be proven in any capacity by a creditor or not.
If you have a credit product from us that was opened in 2000 all the payment history and account activity is saved on microfilm. Even if you have a 30+ year credit account that is still open and ongoing we will have all that history on microfilm. There is not a single lender out there that does not do this.
There is no grey area here. Proving an existing account that went into default status is never an issue. NO need to have it proven in court that the account was delinquent.

As far as we are concerned every collections tradeline is to be treated as legitimate. It's not up to us to question how the default occurred.
It's as clear as day within the members agreement(s). Misuse and/or fraudulent reporting to the credit bureau system will result in rescindment of the members license.
Many businesses can't operate let alone survive without the credit bureau system. No credit puls no credit reporting. They would be lending and qualifying blindly.
While some businesses may not be P2P lenders they still need the system for wholesale purposes extending credit services for business use to large clients.

The only reason anyone would say the collection reporting process is illegitimate unless proven in court is from someone who has experience with skipping on financial obligations. It's the catch me of you can mentality.
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2009
1935 posts
406 upvotes
Nova Scotia
mikeymike1 wrote: That is not what you said above.
You clearly stated collection reports are not legitimate unless they are proven in court.
Mikey, I'd suggest you improve reading comprehension or not let your bias as a industry insider cloud your judgement. I said exactly what I said which means:

-creditor's don't need to prove anything to pin a debt on someone's credit report;
-there is no due process, Equifax and Transunion don't ask creditors to show a contract and demonstrate default. They take creditors at their word;
-this is unlike a court process, where no power to garnish wages or seize assets is permitted to creditors until due process establishes they have such a right.

If I have the proper Equifax account permissions today, I can claim anyone in Canada owes me $10,000 dollars. It hits their score. Their score is lowered. What have I said that's so inaccurate? You actually confirm exactly what I said below:
mikeymike1 wrote: As far as we are concerned every collections tradeline is to be treated as legitimate. It's not up to us to question how the default occurred.
My point is that you should be asking and having some basic proof that a debt is owed. It doesn't make sense why that isn't the case.

mikeymike1 wrote: If you have a credit product from us that was opened in 2000 all the payment history and account activity is saved on microfilm. Even if you have a 30+ year credit account that is still open and ongoing we will have all that history on microfilm. There is not a single lender out there that does not do this.
There is no grey area here. Proving an existing account that went into default status is never an issue. NO need to have it proven in court that the account was delinquent.
You can't actually be serious here in saying it is NEVER possible for creditors to get it wrong? Its easy enough to pull 10 cases in courts across Canada where Equifax has been sued time and again successfully for mistakes. How is Fedex going to prove anything in OP's case if there has never been any contract or agreement?

The only reason anyone would say the collection reporting process is illegitimate unless proven in court is from someone who has experience with skipping on financial obligations. It's the catch me of you can mentality.
I'll just say mikey that your characterizing it this way speaks a lot about your bias as a creditor industry insider. I say credit bureaus and their process can be illegitimate for the reasons like OP mentions above - Fedex can't prove or establish any basis for him owing them a dime, but they can sure knock his credit score down. I'm not saying credit brueaus and their process are always illegitimate, and no one has characterized them as such. I am saying that importing some due process into credit bureaus and their process is not difficult to do and more should be demanded on this front to protect consumers. I have seen many people have illegitimate debts reported to Equifax and Transunion who could not get them removed after some shady, nontransparent back-end due process, and who have had financial hardship accordingly. Its not right. Not everyone is spendthrift dodging debt like Leo in that movie.
Sep 27, 2012
136 posts
67 upvotes
GVA
OP, I am not sure who is asking you payment - is it Fedex or collection agency. I guess Fedex. If yes, what will happen that they will sell this (so called) debt to collection agency and that agency will start harassing you. I have gone through something similar with other large courier company. My case was little different as I never got any bill and after 4-5 years, collection agency started harassing me and I have no idea what that payment was for and whether it was legitimate. I asked collection agency to provide information about what they are asking then they said contact that courier company. I contacted and after many calls/email, I was ultimately able to an get email from courier company to collection agency that no such debt exists. Overall not a good experience and likely not worth my time but I was not ready to pay until I know what payment was for. None able to provide me that information.

I will suggest that whoever asking payment, ask them to provide you invoice copy in details and ask them agreement copy where you agreed to do this payment. If it is Fedex asking for payment then likely they won’t provide you anything as you never agreed to do any payment (even if there is something in the shipper document from whom you bought, Fedex won’t be able to provide you proof). If needed talk to supervisor. If it is collection agency asking for payment, you ask for the same as above but they won’t provide you anything and threaten you but none of them can affect your credit rating. You ultimately has to deal with Fedex to clear it. You will be successful if you persist but will remind you it will waste your lot of time and you will free angry as even if they say they will do something but won’t do so you will need to have patience.

I wish you good luck and wish you fight (obviously it is up to you) as these companies know it waste lot of time of people and most give up and pay and take advantage of the situation.
Sep 16, 2012
633 posts
456 upvotes
GTA/London
mikeymike1 wrote: Update with a response from Impark

So once you're sure it's a private notice, what happens if you don't pay it?

"If the debt owed to us is not paid, the matter will be referred to a collection agency," the FAQ says. "If your vehicle is again parked on one of our lots without a valid receipt or pass, it may be towed."

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-d ... e22458805/

At this point I don't really care what you think as your only experience and character are questionable anyways with your admitted canceling chequing accts to get out of gym memberships and parking and not paying the fees to park there then skipping. Flakes will always be flakes.
Just wanted to provide clarification from an interview with both a lawyer and from Equifax themselves from CBC:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/market ... -1.3851956
CBC also put that question to credit-monitoring firm Equifax and they confirm an unpaid parking ticket — as long as it's from a private lot — won't ruin your credit history.

"Equifax Canada does not accept parking ticket fines from collection agencies," spokesman Tom Carroll says.
💳: Amex Pers Plat, Scotia Amex Gold, Rogers WE, CTFS WE, Brim WE
Oct 28, 2013
6 posts
8 upvotes
Ontario
I had a similar sitution, but with UPS. The pro move is to hand deliver a letter to FedEx HQ telling them to get lost. Then be sure to send them a $5k bill for delivery services and threaten collections...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)