Shopping Discussion

Can I beat customs fee or get refunded....

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 5th, 2012 12:21 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 12, 2006
4320 posts
527 upvotes
Messed Up Area

Can I beat customs fee or get refunded....

Ok,

Just curious as to this situation.

Person Crosses border into Canada and buys Canadian Locked Phone( Rogers ) for say $400.

Person then unable to unlock or just bought when USD high, now sells it.

Buyer buys phone from person for say $400 and gets shipped to Canada.

So since the product originated in canada is it still subject to Customs Fees coming back across border???

I know the normal if shipped USPS would be 13% of sold price $400 ( $52 )+ $8.50 CP = 60.50

Is this a fightable? or best todo customs paperwork yourself and declare as CAD product? so no customs fees paid

Or pay customs fee and then dispute and try and get refunded?
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2003
7816 posts
1387 upvotes
Burnaby
You'll need documentation that the phone was purchased in Canada,a receipt showing HST paid would suffice

Or if you have the original box showing Rogers they might be ok with some convincing
Banned
User avatar
Sep 16, 2010
843 posts
77 upvotes
GTA
someone already mentioned in another thread that you could possibly claim something like this as "canadian goods returning" and avoid duties/taxes.

i would also have the seller ship using USPS since UPS and other courier services will try and ding you with fees. if the seller still has the rogers receipt from original purchase that would greatly help to show taxes were already paid on the item.

wait a sec... i don't think you can be hit with duty since it's exempt from that. i bought an iphone years ago when they first came out and it was in the omitted section so i wasn't asked to pay anything above and beyond what i already paid on it at the apple store, heck i was even able to fill out the form to have the US taxes refunded.

so i think you can use one or the other or both....
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 12, 2006
4320 posts
527 upvotes
Messed Up Area
Thanks for the comments:

- 2 people ( seller( US ) and buyer ( CAD ))
- Original receipt gone ( missing )
- Shipping to be USPS ( UPS who the hell wouldl wanna get rapped )
- Box clearly show Rogers and phone branding of course

- They could declare return ( but then i wouldn't I need to provide business receipt, then CRA would be looking for me at tax time for taxes paid on original purchase ) I know i could do it as personal sale

Iphones exempt???? I remember when ipad 2 launched and many asking how much duties etc would be...
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
210 upvotes
Surrey
theguyz wrote: Ok,

Just curious as to this situation.

Person Crosses border into Canada and buys Canadian Locked Phone( Rogers ) for say $400.

Person then unable to unlock or just bought when USD high, now sells it.

Buyer buys phone from person for say $400 and gets shipped to Canada.

So since the product originated in canada is it still subject to Customs Fees coming back across border???
The item is still subject to taxes and/or fees (and potentially duties as may be applicable) because you (in a general sense..."you" the buyer) are importing the item into Canada. The fact that someone else bought the item in Canada is irrelevant. As you were the not the original buyer, you cannot claim 'items returning to Canada' (this is for your own items that were taken outside the country).

If you don't want to pay customs fees/taxes/duties etc, then the solution is simple - don't buy from outside Canada. Otherwise, just declare the phone and pay the taxes. I would expect you're just subject to HST.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6313 posts
971 upvotes
iamnotamerican.com wrote: The item is still subject to taxes and/or fees (and potentially duties as may be applicable) because you (in a general sense..."you" the buyer) are importing the item into Canada. The fact that someone else bought the item in Canada is irrelevant. As you were the not the original buyer, you cannot claim 'items returning to Canada' (this is for your own items that were taken outside the country).
Quite correct. An astute observation.
iamnotamerican.com wrote: If you don't want to pay customs fees/taxes/duties etc, then the solution is simple - don't buy from outside Canada. Otherwise, just declare the phone and pay the taxes. I would expect you're just subject to HST.

Actually I don't believe there are duties on cell phones in general, like most electronics, and the GST/PST/HST would be payable whether you buy in Canada or import from the US so that's a wash.
Sr. Member
Mar 25, 2011
708 posts
31 upvotes
Guelph
Ahh, I havent answered any customs related questions in SD for a damn while...
woof wrote: Actually I don't believe there are duties on cell phones in general, like most electronics, and the GST/PST/HST would be payable whether you buy in Canada or import from the US so that's a wash.

Yes, no duties on CP.
someone already mentioned in another thread that you could possibly claim something like this as "canadian goods returning" and avoid duties/taxes.
You have to prove it. Any broker won't bother using the CGR tariff if you can't prove that is it really a CGR. I personally have strict guidelines for CGR, so if you can't prove anything to me, I'll give you the regular tariff.

Top