Computers & Electronics

Can I buy a used Rogers cable box and use it at home?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 27th, 2016 12:42 pm
[OP]
Dec 23, 2007
361 posts
54 upvotes
Hamilton

Can I buy a used Rogers cable box and use it at home?

I am currently with Rogers and instead of renting a unit I was going to buy a used one from kijii. Is this possible to do without hassle?
10 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
14371 posts
3354 upvotes
Markham
as long as the seller has asked Rogers to release their cable box from their account not tied to their account.
You can use it.
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Jul 4, 2009
331 posts
55 upvotes
Mississauga
You can get the box but make sure your Rogers account is eligible for a digital box, when I had basic cable I was only allowed 1 digital box and 2 of the little digital receiver boxes any extra devices was a extra outlet fee. Also having another digital box was another digital outlet fee of $7.95 even if you owned the box!
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1339 posts
400 upvotes
Ottawa
And make sure the seller provides proof of purchase. Plenty of people "accidentally" sold their rental box.....
Sep 5, 2014
555 posts
315 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Sure can. I actually found one in the trash once while walking the dog. I just saw it there and picked it up, I called Rogers and told them that I found and they activated it under my name plus gave me a free remote and power cord when I went into the rogers store.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2006
3153 posts
208 upvotes
csi123 wrote: And make sure the seller provides proof of purchase. Plenty of people "accidentally" sold their rental box.....
This what I don't get it. If the "accidentally" sold then they still on the hook for the cost, right? whatever that might be at the point.
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Apr 2, 2009
884 posts
172 upvotes
Markham
flying triangle wrote: I am currently with Rogers and instead of renting a unit I was going to buy a used one from kijii. Is this possible to do without hassle?
Get the serial # from the seller and contact Rogers.
Rogers will tell you if it's a box that's purchased outright or a rented box (whether you can use it on your acct).
I've done this numerous times over the years.
Also make sure you test the box (at your home or their home) before exchange of money.
Koodo, Public Mobile client.
Amex, PayTM client.
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
13843 posts
2356 upvotes
Toronto
Best thing would be to meet the person near a rogers store. This way they can bring the box and you can activate it and check the warranty. If there are issues and the device is under warranty, they can give you a replacement box.

Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
12500 posts
1995 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
sandeeS wrote:
csi123 wrote: And make sure the seller provides proof of purchase. Plenty of people "accidentally" sold their rental box.....
This what I don't get it. If the "accidentally" sold then they still on the hook for the cost, right? whatever that might be at the point.
Either a) stolen rental box from someone else or b) they dont care about future collection calls or hits to credit rating. Chances are peeps already put a cancellation order in and give some excuse like "... technician came to the house to shut off services I gave the box to him. Dont know what happened after that. "
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7638 posts
1402 upvotes
mudgts wrote: Sure can. I actually found one in the trash once while walking the dog. I just saw it there and picked it up, I called Rogers and told them that I found and they activated it under my name plus gave me a free remote and power cord when I went into the rogers store.
Exact same situation for me, except I was dumping my garbage in the garbage room in my condo
Apr 13, 2005
643 posts
431 upvotes
Markham, ON
EPcjay wrote:
mudgts wrote: Sure can. I actually found one in the trash once while walking the dog. I just saw it there and picked it up, I called Rogers and told them that I found and they activated it under my name plus gave me a free remote and power cord when I went into the rogers store.
Exact same situation for me, except I was dumping my garbage in the garbage room in my condo
I should take a trip to the local dump then.