Cell Phones

Can i change the carrier within a week of activation?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 21st, 2016 2:16 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 6, 2010
157 posts
9 upvotes
oakville

Can i change the carrier within a week of activation?

is it possible to change the carrier within a week of activation with my own device?

For instance, if i activate Bell monthly plan today and decided to switch to telus the next day, will i only be charged for one day of use? or will i need to pay a whole month? or is there any penalty associated with changing the carrier so quickly?

thank you for your comment!!
2 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2198 posts
675 upvotes
Edmonton
4. Trial period
When a customer agrees to a contract through which they are subject to an early cancellation fee, a service provider must offer the customer a trial period lasting a minimum of 15 calendar days to enable the customer to determine whether the service meets their needs.
The trial period must start on the date on which service begins.
A service provider may establish reasonable limits on the use of voice, text, and data services for the trial period.
During the trial period, customers may cancel their contract without penalty or early cancellation fee if they have
used less than the permitted usage; and
returned any device provided by the service provider, in near-new condition, including original packaging.
If a customer self-identifies as a person with a disability, the service provider must extend the trial period to at least 30 calendar days, and the permitted usage amounts must be at least double the service provider’s general usage amounts for the trial period.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/t14.htm
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2608 posts
680 upvotes
Toronto, ON
wlsdnjsaos wrote: is it possible to change the carrier within a week of activation with my own device?

For instance, if i activate Bell monthly plan today and decided to switch to telus the next day, will i only be charged for one day of use? or will i need to pay a whole month? or is there any penalty associated with changing the carrier so quickly?

thank you for your comment!!
You can change carriers minutes within activation.
Your entitled to a refund for all unused days of your monthly service.
The carriers won't give your the refund unless you explicitly demand I find.