• Dec 1st, 2021 5:20 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3477 posts
676 upvotes
Allenford

Can I cut this cable off at the wall?

So this was here when I moved in forever ago, just been hidden behind a stand till now. Don't need if for the internet I have now and I can't shove it back through the hole so it could at least be in the basement. Can I just cut it off? If I rent this house out in future is it good to have it?
Images
  • 20211128_192207.jpg
23 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
1779 posts
725 upvotes
Oakville
Although you said you could not push it in, you should be able to.

Unscrew the cover from the wall, and you should be able pull the cable from the back side until it is flush on the front side. You will probably have insulation in that outside wall, but you should still be able to shove the cable up inside the wall. Then put the cover back on.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
6958 posts
4597 upvotes
Ottawa
Check the markings on the cable - if it's Cat5, I wouldn't spend much time trying to preserve it although the idea of cutting it back to about 30 cms or so is a decent approach in the event that it's useful in the future. If it's Cat6 or higher, I would spend more time trying to preserve as much of it as possible.

I guess the other question is if the other end of the cable is accessible and what it could connect to.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2436 posts
1519 upvotes
London
CaptSmethwick wrote: Check the markings on the cable - if it's Cat5,
It has an F connector.
It's coax.

Congo has the right idea.
Preserve as much as possible, and but a blank plate on.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
6958 posts
4597 upvotes
Ottawa
arisk wrote: It has an F connector.
It's coax.

Congo has the right idea.
Preserve as much as possible, and but a blank plate on.
You're right, of course. I couldn't open the image earlier this morning and all I could make out was that the cable was grey - a common colour for Cat5. Given that it's a coax cable, they are easy to couple and lengthen as needed.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
6383 posts
2007 upvotes
0 downvotes
I would buy a wall plate with a F-Type screw terminal on it, then connect the end of the cable to the back of the wall plate then tuck all the excess wire into the wall. If the wire is too long, you can cut it a bit short, and crimp on a new f-type fitting then the wire is gone its nice and clean. the F-type wall plates are very inexpensive they even sell 'em at Dollar Rama and Dollar Tree
Hello and Welcome to Red Flag Deals!
This is my signature line, nothing special to see here now go away, lol!
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1346 posts
788 upvotes
Longueuil
Personally, I would simply install a wall plate with a F Type coax connector (that is what I did at home, you simply screw it on the back of the plate) if you can manage to push the cable through the wall. I would avoid cutting it (unless you don't think you will ever need it) since you might not have the proper tool to crimp a new connector. I got 3 plates like this at home (I don't think I will use these cables in the future but they are there if I need to or if I want to use them to install a new type of cable).
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
12627 posts
4236 upvotes
Ontario
Coaxial cable as already mentioned so it could be used for Rogers cable or Rogers internet. Now mind you it may be an older cable and may need to be replaced but its best to leave it in case a tech needs to use it to pull a new cable in the home without drilling holes everywhere.

Worst case you could cut it in half this way you have more then enough cable if you have to add a new connector to it in the future.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2110 posts
1145 upvotes
GTA
Even if you cut it off short and push it back into the wall and put a blank plate over it, it'd still be useful in the future as a fishing line to wherever it goes to.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
4738 posts
1638 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
I used those cable wires in my place to distribute the signal from my external TV antenna. Super handy to have them.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3195 posts
1979 upvotes
Markham
Seriously. This thread should have ended at post #2.
Why is everyone still posting?
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2436 posts
1519 upvotes
London
exrcoupe wrote: Even if you cut it off short and push it back into the wall and put a blank plate over it, it'd still be useful in the future as a fishing line to wherever it goes to.
If it isn't stapled or caught somewhere hidden.
Since the op says they can't shove it back into the basement, your chances of success are slim.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2436 posts
1519 upvotes
London
BDSL wrote: Seriously. This thread should have ended at post #2.
Why is everyone still posting?
Actually want an answer?
Confirmation.

The OP obviously doesn't know.
The second post could also be BS.
I've certainly seen enough examples on this forum.
By others contributing it helps confirm a correct course of action.
Wording changes, or slight additional info, can do more than simply upvoting post #2 as well.
If it doesn't go too far off topic, it can be educational.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
6383 posts
2007 upvotes
0 downvotes
Post #6 was the most helpful, You may not need the wire now, but in the future, if u ever change Internet or TV providers, having that wire could be useful. Just to repeat what was said, try to push the excess wire back into the wall, if it don't fit, you can trim the wire short and crimp on a new connector then put a wall plate with a F coupling on that and the wire will no longer be an annoyance, you will have no wire just a cable jack to screw a wire onto if and when needed.
Hello and Welcome to Red Flag Deals!
This is my signature line, nothing special to see here now go away, lol!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3477 posts
676 upvotes
Allenford
Thank you everyone! I really appreciate the additional confirmation and context posts as I clearly have no idea what I am doing and reading all the respsonses have helped me understand what to do and more importantly why. Will tackle it this weekend and see about getting that wall plate etc.!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
6958 posts
4597 upvotes
Ottawa
Gee wrote: Grey is the common colour for CAT3

Blue is the common colour for CAT5
Interesting. Not at all my experience.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3477 posts
676 upvotes
Allenford
So weird, went to the basement and can't find that cable anywhere near where it is in that upstairs room. Will check again tomorrow but just find it odd.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)