Can I do roofing right after the rain?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 10th, 2021 1:17 pm
[OP]
Aug 29, 2005
662 posts
134 upvotes

Can I do roofing right after the rain?

Sunday was the day to replace my roof. But the forcast says it is gonna rain on sunday. Called the roofing company and change to Monday.

However, the forecast says it will rain until like 1-2am Monday morning. Is it ok to do the roofing just hours later Monday morning? I mean the roof could be still wet after rain. Do I need to call and change the scheudle again?

Thanks.
4 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25621 posts
4751 upvotes
Let the roofing company manage it. They know what they're doing
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2017 posts
1808 upvotes
Ottawa
Do you trust your roofer?

If you do, let them do the work. If they're certified in the product, they'll only do it if the product says they can.

But, yes, they can shingle that day. Assuming you shingles aren't really bad, the roof should be dry under them. Otherwise, you'd have leaks in your attic.

Depending on the size of the roof, it'll take them half to a full day to strip off the old shingles anyway.
[OP]
Aug 29, 2005
662 posts
134 upvotes
Dynatos wrote: Do you trust your roofer?

If you do, let them do the work. If they're certified in the product, they'll only do it if the product says they can.

But, yes, they can shingle that day. Assuming you shingles aren't really bad, the roof should be dry under them. Otherwise, you'd have leaks in your attic.

Depending on the size of the roof, it'll take them half to a full day to strip off the old shingles anyway.
I actually don't know. He didn't call me and the schedule was sunday. I checked the forecase and called him this morning then he checked the forecast and changed the date to Monday. I am not sure if they would still come sunday and do the roofing in the rain if I hadn't called him this morning. I have no idea how they manage this kind of situation. That's why I am asking here.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2017 posts
1808 upvotes
Ottawa
supermike wrote: I actually don't know. He didn't call me and the schedule was sunday. I checked the forecase and called him this morning then he checked the forecast and changed the date to Monday. I am not sure if they would still come sunday and do the roofing in the rain if I hadn't called him this morning. I have no idea how they manage this kind of situation. That's why I am asking here.
A qualified and reputable roofing contractor won't shingle in the rain.

If it looks like it's going to be raining, they'll reschedule the job. If they see rain incoming on the radar, they'll tarp over any exposed deck boards and pause the job.

It depends a lot on the amount of rain expected, though. If it's a little tiny bit for an hour or two in the afternoon, they'd likely start the job, tarp it over before the rain comes, and go for coffee. Or if it's just a small amount of drizzle for a short amount of time that won't be enough to leak into the attic, they may continue; the sun will dry it out before they put down the underlay.

Again, it comes down to choosing a qualified and reputable contractor and letting them do what you're paying them to do. They should have liability insurance. If you get an attic leak because of their error, they'll be liable to fix it.