Travel

Can I fly to the U.S then cross to Mexico now?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 8th, 2020 9:17 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
2227 posts
316 upvotes
Toronto

Can I fly to the U.S then cross to Mexico now?

Hi guys,

Need some help here. Did my research already but just want to hear from someone who has already done travelling last two months.

Given the current COVID19 travel restrictions , we are planning to travel to Mexico for a medical surgery that my gf had already booked back in feb for early August.

We plan to fly to San Diego , then cross into Tijuana. The city is 1 hr from Tijuana.

I realize non-essential travel is still not allowed. But I am assuming travel for medical purposes is OK?

What else do I need to know ? I am getting my insurance and the flight itself allows me to make changes if needed.
My Signature is empty. My signature space is not for sale. You may not contact me to advertise your RFD-related activities here. I repeat, this signature-space is not for sale, unless it is a ......day
4 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
13116 posts
10350 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Personally ... Mexico wouldn’t be on my radar anytime soon

Esp with this recent news
Two things happened in Mexico this week that seem at odds with each other.

First, Mexico recorded its worst week of the outbreak, both in confirmed cases and deaths.

It recorded more than 1,000 deaths in a single day for the first time. And for three consecutive days, it recorded single-day highs in new cases.

Despite the bleak numbers, and conflicting messages from government leaders, officials have pushed ahead with a phased reopening plan across the country.

Deputy Health Secretary Hugo López Gatell, who leads Mexico's Covid-19 response, has urged Mexicans to stay home. He has stressed that the country is not out of the woods, even if some sectors of the economy begin to reopen.

Mexico has recorded 110,026 cases and 13,170 deaths. But given extremely low testing rates in the country, health officials have said the true number of cases is likely well into the millions.
But even more telling this sound bite from their President:
But President Andrés Manuel López Obrador offered a different message.

"Don't steal, don't rob, don't betray, and that helps a lot with not getting the coronavirus," he said Thursday. He also told people to socially distance when they could, and wash their hands.
Ok then. Almost as effective as a President prescribing bleach for one’s innards :rolleyes: :facepalm:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/06/americas ... index.html
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4326 posts
626 upvotes
Scarborough
Restrictions only apply to land border between US-CAN, but you're flying so should be ok. You can also get a medical note from the doctor in Mexico that the surgery needs to be done. I would double check your insurance as a lot of them will not cover level 4 countries. I've only traveled to the US during the pandemic and not to Mexico, so can't comment the experience at the Mexican border.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5383 posts
1462 upvotes
Ottawa
At the moment, you can fly from Canada to the US so you can fly to San Diego and I haven't really looked into entering Mexico from the US by land but I believe you can so that part is fine. However what's your plan to return? As a Canadian, I do not believe you would be able to enter the US from Mexico in order to take a return flight from San Diego to Canada so you would have to fly from Mexico directly to Canada.

As far as travel for medical purposes, based on what you've described, it does not sound like an essential procedure so I do not believe you'd get special permission because of that (assuming that essential medical travel exemption even exists).

Having said all that, you can fly from Toronto to Tijuana so that might make a lot more sense than going through San Diego.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4326 posts
626 upvotes
Scarborough
michelb wrote: At the moment, you can fly from Canada to the US so you can fly to San Diego and I haven't really looked into entering Mexico from the US by land but I believe you can so that part is fine. However what's your plan to return? As a Canadian, I do not believe you would be able to enter the US from Mexico in order to take a return flight from San Diego to Canada so you would have to fly from Mexico directly to Canada.

As far as travel for medical purposes, based on what you've described, it does not sound like an essential procedure so I do not believe you'd get special permission because of that (assuming that essential medical travel exemption even exists).

Having said all that, you can fly from Toronto to Tijuana so that might make a lot more sense than going through San Diego.
+1 for flying directly into Mexico to avoid the US customs hassle.