Shopping Discussion

Can I get PC Points + Credit Card Cashback on different cards?

• Last Updated:
  • May 22nd, 2019 2:19 pm
[OP]
Apr 24, 2013
579 posts
288 upvotes
Toronto

Can I get PC Points + Credit Card Cashback on different cards?

I have a PC World Elite credit card (30 points per $1) and a TD Visa (3% on groceries).

When shopping at Superstore (and such family of stores), the cashier asks where I want to accumulate my points, then asks how I want to pay.

If I accumulate my points on the PC World Elite credit card, then pay with my TD Visa, will I get 30 points on my PC card + 3% cashback on my TD credit card? That is 6%, but seems too good to be true...
I got Fido and Public Mobile. [removed solicitation] ????
10 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3384 posts
1810 upvotes
Toronto
Absolutely not. The 30 points per dollar is only paying with PC WE CC. You do get individual point offers for product purchases. But paying either way is the same for you.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1029 posts
586 upvotes
London, On
You'd earn the same PCO points on whatever items you have an offer for in your PCO account, regardless of how you pay. But the 30 pts per dollar and the 3% cashback are credit card offers, not PCO offers, so pick your favourite card and pay with it. You can't earn both unless you want to pay twice lol
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15442 posts
12647 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
As already stated the PCO Program has Various earning streams

One via your PCO Account # ...
That generates points when you use Personal Offers, Flyer Offers, Instore Offers, Mgr Offers, or Text Offers
(some of which at times may require a coupon or screen shot)
The points here are generated by either the Collector presenting whatever device they have linked to their PCO Account
PCO Plastic Card - Keytag - or Smart App **

The second revenue stream is using a LINKED PC+ MC for payment
That generates even more PCO Points
As it gives out points spent on the entire $ amount charged, not just individual offers

So in that way, it’s like any other Credit Card that offers Bonuses for Using the CC
(Cash Back, Travel Rewards etc)

And you ONLY EARN PCO Points from the PC+ MC stream if you use it for payment

** Where things get tricky
Is some PCO Collectors have tossed, or lost their original PCO Plastics (Cards & Tags)
Sometimes on purpose ... as they LINKED their PCO Membership to their PC+ MC CC
In which case their normal practice at the Cash is to tap / double tap their PC+ MC CC

If your plan is to stop using your PC+ MC CC to pay at a PCO Affiliated Store
(Although I personally would probably see that as a silly move ... considering how many Bonus Points are Earned per $ spent on it)
AND you no longer have the PCO Plastics
I would say your best bet is to get yourself another PCO Plastic Membership Card
Register / Link it to your existing PCO Account
And use it as your first tap ... BEFORE YOU PAY with another Non PC+ CC
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3843 posts
2402 upvotes
Vancouver
You could get points and your cashback but you won't get the benefits of PC WE. You can sign up for a PC optimum card and collect points that way based on any promo you might have on your card + get your 3% cashback. Remember the 30pt/$ on PC WE is based on the amount of money you charge on that card. If you charge $0 on it (and charge it on the TD) then you get 30 * $0.

Otherwise, everyone would sign up for PC WE to collect points over the regular program. Repeat for CT and their CC (and pretty much every point collecting CC and air miles card lol).
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15442 posts
12647 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Paigne wrote:
USING THE TD CC ... You could get points and your cashback but you won't get the benefits of PC WE. You can sign up for a PC optimum card and collect points that way based on any promo you might have on your card + get your 3% cashback.

USING THE PC + MC ... Remember the 30pt/$ on PC WE is based on the amount of money you charge on that card. If you charge $0 on it (and charge it on the TD) then you get 30 * $0.

Otherwise, everyone would sign up for PC WE to collect points over the regular program. Repeat for CT and their CC (and pretty much every point collecting CC and air miles card lol).
Fixed for clarity
Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Addict
May 1, 2018
1485 posts
938 upvotes
Vancouver
If you have a PCF Mastercard, why would you use a different payment method if you collect PC Optimum points and shop at PC stores often?
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1031 posts
822 upvotes
GTA
Alivenate wrote: If you have a PCF Mastercard, why would you use a different payment method if you collect PC Optimum points and shop at PC stores often?
One possible reasons would be because someone's other CC has a higher cashback rate than the PCMC's pointsback rate.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10062 posts
12034 upvotes
Vancouver
Alivenate wrote: If you have a PCF Mastercard, why would you use a different payment method if you collect PC Optimum points and shop at PC stores often?
This. 4% on my Visa plus 5300 PCO points is better than 3% in PCO points plus 5300 PCO points.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
5293 posts
2895 upvotes
I always use my Scotia Momentum (4%) to pay for my shopping at Loblaws/RCSS/Independent stores. But I also scan my PCO card to get all the specials loaded to my account
Aug 22, 2009
490 posts
446 upvotes
Ottawa
mkl38s wrote: I always use my Scotia Momentum (4%) to pay for my shopping at Loblaws/RCSS/Independent stores. But I also scan my PCO card to get all the specials loaded to my account
I do the exact same thing. Pay with Momentum, and collect using the PCO card.