Computers & Electronics

Can I Imitate Portal On My TV Without Purchasing Portal?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2019 1:00 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
19213 posts
6769 upvotes
Toronto

Can I Imitate Portal On My TV Without Purchasing Portal?

So you know Portal for Messenger that allows full screen video calling? If all I want to do is display the chat on my TV, could I somehow cast it there? Maybe with Google devices?

Ideas? Trying to save $200 instead of purchasing Portal
RedFlagDeals Addict
6 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12119 posts
7003 upvotes
Markham
I think if you have a chromecast device, you can cast your android screen. Never tried it myself though.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
19471 posts
3519 upvotes
Toronto
Why would you want it on your TV? Just use Facetime, Skype, or Duo and you can have the same thing on your tablet or phone and carry it around with you where you need it. A TV is immobile and just about the worst thing for this type of call.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
19213 posts
6769 upvotes
Toronto
Piro21 wrote: Why would you want it on your TV? Just use Facetime, Skype, or Duo and you can have the same thing on your tablet or phone and carry it around with you where you need it. A TV is immobile and just about the worst thing for this type of call.
Because my son is under 2 years old and I'd like him to see his grandparents on my TV, as opposed to an iPad. It makes for a better experience, for him.
gr8dlr wrote: I think if you have a chromecast device, you can cast your android screen. Never tried it myself though.
I was unable to cast the conversation when I tried. Thought it would be that easy but I haven't found it yet.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2003
4267 posts
2661 upvotes
Edmonton
This is definitely possible. Two options I can think of for displaying Facetime on your TV:
  1. Hook up your iPad to your TV using a Lightning-to-HDMI cable, or
  2. Use Apple TV to mirror your iPad screen on your TV
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
19213 posts
6769 upvotes
Toronto
ChinpokoMon wrote: This is definitely possible. Two options I can think of for displaying Facetime on your TV:
  1. Hook up your iPad to your TV using a Lightning-to-HDMI cable, or
  2. Use Apple TV to mirror your iPad screen on your TV
Thanks but I'm generally using Android devices. I have Chromecasts ...
I'll think about Option 1, I just recently got an iPad but we aren't using it yet. Won't have Apple TV.
RedFlagDeals Addict