Home & Garden

Can I install a metal fence gate if my property is back on ravine trail?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 30th, 2021 10:49 pm
Oct 3, 2006
157 posts
590 upvotes
Oakville

Can I install a metal fence gate if my property is back on ravine trail?

We bought a property in Oakville last year and it's closing soon. The house is back to ravine adjacent to a trail. The developer has put in metal fence along the back property line of the row of houses. I am wondering if it's permitted to cut open a small section of the fence and install a gate for easy access to the trail. Thanks in advance for your input.
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8427 posts
4672 upvotes
Durham
DrunkCPU wrote: We bought a property in Oakville last year and it's closing soon. The house is back to ravine adjacent to a trail. The developer has put in metal fence along the back property line of the row of houses. I am wondering if it's permitted to cut open a small section of the fence and install a gate for easy access to the trail. Thanks in advance for your input.
Something that you should be asking the Town of Oakville. The metal fence seems to be city property.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1535 posts
1256 upvotes
Hamilton
Depends on who owns the fence ... Is the fence on your property ? Or the town's property or is it part of a conservation authority trail?

A gate on a public trail may act as an invitation for unauthorized visitors ........ as well as trash etc..

As well, even if it is yours, is not as easy as cutting the fence and putting in a gate. You would need a couple of posts, some attachment pieces, the gate and a good lock......

And maybe a security camera......
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
9335 posts
5636 upvotes
luckystrike1 wrote: Depends on who owns the fence ... Is the fence on your property ? Or the town's property or is it part of a conservation authority trail?

A gate on a public trail may act as an invitation for unauthorized visitors ........ as well as trash etc..

As well, even if it is yours, is not as easy as cutting the fence and putting in a gate. You would need a couple of posts, some attachment pieces, the gate and a good lock......

And maybe a security camera......
We put one in, took the dude about 1-1 1/2hr. Looked dead simple to me if you know what you're doing.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)