Wheels and Tires

Can I install ONLY 2 winter tires at the front on the FWD?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 2nd, 2020 11:22 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20806 posts
6622 upvotes
London
I used to do it all the time until some girl was killed in an accident on the sea to sky highway. I think there was an inquest and this was a big contributing factor
Dec 11, 2019
2 posts
True. And for those people I recommend 1 thing.

Get four tires.

My issue with the entire, you must have four tires, is that all reports are sponsored either by insurance companies, tire manufactures or others.

They are all tainted study’s. Simply watching g the videos is a joke. There are huge differences in how they steer, speeds and angles before entering corners and reaction differences you can see by watching The way they turn - forcing the cars to slide more when only running 2 tires.

Any that you read do not factor I. Driving experience, skill and plain old common sense.

For those that need it due to lack of skill, experience or common sense, go for it.

But.... for the lobbies controlled by those who stand to make more money by creating g laws - screw them.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2009
1085 posts
409 upvotes
- Our shop will not install 2 winter tires to the front because we can be sued, it has been proven in a court of law, with expert witnesses, that it is so unsafe we would be negligent in providing the service.

- if you have AWD you need to replace all 4 anyway or the system will be severly damaged.

- interestingly when you have your winter tires on your summer tires stop wearing out! It's almost like you are just buying your next set of tires in advance, not getting ripped off by everyone in the tire industry. Get some cheap steel winter rims and having them swapped over is very cheap and an easy dyi. (Save those nice alloy rims from winter corrosion as a bonus.)

- since all seasons are a compromise, (to soft for summer, too hard for winter), mabye it's possible to even save money in the long run, (and be safe all year), by getting some winter tires and matching them with some great long life touring tires for summer when the shity all seasons wear out.

I wish all provinces would regulate this and require winter tires like Quebec does. It blows my mind that we require these safety features like ABS to be functioning before the vehical can leave the shop but it can drive away no problem with bald ass all season tires which negates the whole system anyway.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
6145 posts
3614 upvotes
Toronto
Even though this is a 13 y/o thread and people knock Canadian Tire for automotive.
  • A lack of cash on hand is not a reason not to get Winter tires.
  • CDN Tire cards are easy to get.
  • They have 1 and 2 year no interest payment plans.
  • You don't have to let them install the tires.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4615 posts
3080 upvotes
Going to be fun to hear the OP's feedback during this weekend's storm. Where is the popcorn.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2007
6369 posts
6728 upvotes
Center of Canada
It depends. Yes, you can. However think about it this way.
It will improve your acceleration, plus SOME turning. But it only give you approx 50% benefit of braking.

Can you do that? Sure
Will it help? Yes, for sure
Is it best way? NO,

However, if it is budget issue, it is much better than without winter tire.
Bright side of RFD: Often find good deal
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7523 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
2 winter tires, front or back?

Put in front = probably better day to day driving, helps in FWD not getting stuck on the go. No protection or more prone to fishtailing.

Put in back on a FWD and you still not able to go up the grades and then block everyone behind you like a moron.
Yes, possibly better in terms of losing control completely.

Honestly, it only makes sense you put them on the drive wheels.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Legal? Don’t know but people speed ever day. Some of them are doing it RIGHT NOW. safe? Absolutely. I know someone who is doing it now and I unknowingly drove that car through the recent snow fall here in gta only to learn of said situation after the fact.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)