Automotive

Can i make it through with "all season" tires in Toronto?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 12th, 2015 10:15 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 30, 2015
13 posts
3 upvotes
East York, ON

Can i make it through with "all season" tires in Toronto?

Winter is upon us ... well almost :-)

So my question is if it is possible to drive during the entire winter with all season tires. I live in Toronto and well like the rest of Canada, things get really bad sometimes during the winter with snow storms and what not. What do you guys think? Are Winter tires really that necessary?
67 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
7077 posts
8473 upvotes
Richmond Hill
It gets tricky in some situations (i.e. going up a hill), but I've managed.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Nov 3, 2011
325 posts
202 upvotes
Toronto
I use all season tires last 4 years, nothing that bad. I bought winters only cuz i have nice summer wheels now lol
Deal Addict
May 16, 2007
1584 posts
77 upvotes
I never felt that I needed winter tires until one day I couldn't climb a hill that I normally have no problem climbing. Sliding sideways down a hill is no fun. Went straight to a tireshop and bought whatever tires they had available. I've never looked back.

It's like insurance; you may never use it but you'll be damn glad you had it when you do need it.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
22708 posts
4330 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I drove 10+ years without Winters without issue. However once I got winter tires I swore I'd never go another winter without them. They are just better for the winter, obviously...

So yes you can make it, if you have the spare cash for winters though, I'd recommend you get a set
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19136 posts
2852 upvotes
Woodbridge
Of course you can, like majority of drivers they just drive 30-40 below the speed limit. :(
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8573 posts
2347 upvotes
Mississauga
vectorA wrote: Winter is upon us ... well almost :-)

So my question is if it is possible to drive during the entire winter with all season tires. I live in Toronto and well like the rest of Canada, things get really bad sometimes during the winter with snow storms and what not. What do you guys think? Are Winter tires really that necessary?
It is possible. Weigh the pro`s and con`s. Pro`s to buying winter tires. No matter how much snow we get you will get where your going. Most insurance companies give small discounts if you install winter tires. Your all season tires last longer. Con`s to not buying winter tires. During snow storms slipping while driving, all seasons wear out quicker. It all depends on how much snow we get and how much driving you need to do in the winter.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6138 posts
2880 upvotes
Cornwall PE
If one has good all seasons that person may do ok, not many used winter tires in the eighties. However the touring style all season that is standard on most new cars might not be very desirable in slush or snow. But like others have said once you use winter tires one season you aren't likely to go back to all seasons.
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2723 upvotes
ON
In short, yes.

In long, it will be better with winters.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5835 posts
1218 upvotes
aGincourt
Winter tires help a lot but you only really need them when the roads haven't been cleared yet or if you live in far and small areas. East York = no problem
May 10, 2015
513 posts
84 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
u dont need winters..never used in vancity i know we dont get much snow but i think probably only up north they really need need winters..
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
48387 posts
11673 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
I always used winter tires. Its a must for rwd cars.
I got a awd suv now, so i could probably get away with all seasons. But instead i bought a used set of winter tires for $200. Only 1 season old. Some discount chinese tires, but still winter tires none the less.

If youre looking @ a good compromise there are 'all weather tires' that actually have the snow flake symbol. You can still drive these in the summer! Nokian wrg3 and hankook optimo 4s.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
4007 upvotes
Toronto
vectorA wrote: Winter is upon us ... well almost :-)

yes you can

winters not that necesary
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
4007 upvotes
Toronto
just remember... 99% of the rfd posters have never driven a car, they just post without knowing.

all seasons are fine for toronto. even in our heaviest snow fall I was able to manage for years. and even last year with all seasons near the end of their life, the car was fine.

anyway, winters are still better.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2007
5429 posts
1975 upvotes
I recommend getting winter tires.

Plus it also depends on what kind of all season tires you have. Some are much better than others. Hankook all seasons is terrible on ice/snow.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 2, 2005
5053 posts
712 upvotes
if you're in Toronto winter tires are a must, all-seasons will do for the rest of Canada.
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5083 posts
6663 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Summer performance tires for the summer, winter tires for the winter, on separate wheels/rims. Best of both worlds. Why bother with all-seasons?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20934 posts
5352 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Never used it and have yet to encounter a need for it.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9198 posts
10691 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
daivey wrote: just remember... 99% of the rfd posters have never driven a car, they just post without knowing.

all seasons are fine for toronto. even in our heaviest snow fall I was able to manage for years. and even last year with all seasons near the end of their life, the car was fine.

anyway, winters are still better.
A balanced answer. I used to just use all season...got along pretty good. Later on I got winter tires and it made the drive better.

If you have a job where you can work from home on bad days or short commutes can make it even more manageable.

I guess it's not even a debate in Quebec where it's mandatory now.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)