Home & Garden

Can I move the security alarm sensor by myself ?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2020 11:13 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8677 posts
595 upvotes

Can I move the security alarm sensor by myself ?

Currently, there is a security alarm sensor on the patio door. We will be having sunroom addition, I wonder how difficult to move the security alarm sensor by extending the existing wire to the door of the sunroom. Does anyone have experience of it ? Thanks in advance for any advice.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4230 posts
866 upvotes
Ottawa
Easy, just use CAT3 wire to extend
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11167 posts
7436 upvotes
Edmonton
rdx wrote: Currently, there is a security alarm sensor on the patio door. We will be having sunroom addition, I wonder how difficult to move the security alarm sensor by extending the existing wire to the door of the sunroom. Does anyone have experience of it ? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Talk to your security company to see if there's any wireless options? Even on our old system, all the sensors were wireless (door, motion, glass breakage)...

C
Mar 6, 2019
39 posts
22 upvotes
Calgary
What type of alarm sensor is on the current patio door?

If the sensor/wires are visible then it's a mater of extending those wires to a new door. As mentioned above CAT3 or something similar should suffice. If the sensor is recessed which is more likely in the case of regular doors then getting to the existing wires would be more difficult. You'll then need to find a suitable route to run/hide the new wiring.
Jan 10, 2017
296 posts
219 upvotes
rdx wrote: Currently, there is a security alarm sensor on the patio door. We will be having sunroom addition, I wonder how difficult to move the security alarm sensor by extending the existing wire to the door of the sunroom. Does anyone have experience of it ? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Extending the run is easy, doing it neatly and being able to remove the old sensors is usually a challenge.

Security wire is usually 18 or 22 gauge 2-pair but you can also use CAT3 or CAT5 if you have any at your disposable. All you need is to find an alternate path, whether it is exposed or hidden, to the new door.

Disconnect power to the alarm system while running/extending wires just to be on the safe side.

Remove the old sensors, see if there is a twist on connector or where the lead wires from the sensor connect to the run to the panel, if soldered or you can't find it, give yourself a few good inches of wire on the old sensor and cut it.

Strip a bit of the existing wire on both cables, twist them together and put on a twist-on wire connector and some electrical tape for extra protection, repeat for 2nd wire, run to new destination

Do the same on the ends of the sensor, strip them a bit on both sides, twist with the new cable run, twist-on wire connector, install sensor and test.

Removing the old sensors can be PITA depending on their age or if they are the embedded/hidden ones in doors, so if you can't remove it, just get a new one - I bought a lot of them from aartech, just check the model number of your alarm system so you can get the right part.