Personal Finance

Can I pay my rent with my VISA Aerogold or AMEX Card?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2013 4:07 pm
Nov 16, 2012
10 posts
Toronto

Can I pay my rent with my VISA Aerogold or AMEX Card?

So i am totally bummed out, I just moved into a nice pad and I wanted to pay my rent with my VISA Aergold card to get more miles, but my property manager said they only accept cheques or PAD...uggg...does anyone know a way that I can do this? It would be so awesome. Thanks! I am just the only one out there that wants to pay their rent and NOT use a freakin cheque or PAD??? It's 2013!!! haha...
27 replies
Aug 26, 2008
483 posts
64 upvotes
Vancouver
Ask if your landlord takes PayPal?
Buying: Your US Shares (directly held with transfer agent)
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3696 upvotes
:facepalm:

Ill be happy to process your credit card and pay your landlord. A fee of 5% applies.
Sep 29, 2009
69 posts
8 upvotes
Ottawa
It probably wouldn't be worth it. My old landlord (in the US) would accept credit card payments at a charge of $35.
Aug 26, 2008
483 posts
64 upvotes
Vancouver
You also have to read between the lines and see how this looks like to a landlord. As a landlord, I've probably interviewed you and checked references to make sure you will pay on time, you're not a deadbeat, etc. Now you want to pay by credit card??? That's just more likelihood that further payments may be an issue if you start running balances. More potential headaches down the line and there are more than enough people out there who can pay by cash or cheque for the landlord to just go "next!".
Buying: Your US Shares (directly held with transfer agent)
Banned
Dec 1, 2011
2427 posts
342 upvotes
Winnipeg
mmadness wrote: You also have to read between the lines and see how this looks like to a landlord. As a landlord, I've probably interviewed you and checked references to make sure you will pay on time, you're not a deadbeat, etc. Now you want to pay by credit card??? That's just more likelihood that further payments may be an issue if you start running balances. More potential headaches down the line and there are more than enough people out there who can pay by cash or cheque for the landlord to just go "next!".
+1
:lol: to the ones wanting to pay rent with credit cards :lol:
Can you believe it? They sent my income tax return forms back to me! In response to question # 4, "Do you have any dependants?" I replied - "2.1 million illegal immigrants, 1.1 million crack heads, 4.4 million unemployable people, 901 thousand people in over 85 prisons, and 650 idiots in Parliament.
Apparently, this was NOT an acceptable answer.

Who the hell did I miss? :razz:
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4664 posts
1242 upvotes
Toronto
In addition to the overall hassle of setting him- or herself up to accept credit card payments, the landlord would have to hand over about 2% of your rent to the credit card company in merchant fees. Amex would likely be even more expensive for the landlord.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2008
6278 posts
2753 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, you can. Just take a cash advance out of your Visa and make a payment. The higher the interest rate, the better.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13011 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
The landlord would get charged for using a CC so they would not.

And the credit issue as well. If people start putting their rent on their CC, it's a matter of time before they start going over their limit.
Banned
Dec 1, 2011
2427 posts
342 upvotes
Winnipeg
ksgill wrote: Yes, you can. Just take a cash advance out of your Visa and make a payment. The higher the interest rate, the better.
+1
But has to be done in multiple transactions. The more fees the better :facepalm:
Can you believe it? They sent my income tax return forms back to me! In response to question # 4, "Do you have any dependants?" I replied - "2.1 million illegal immigrants, 1.1 million crack heads, 4.4 million unemployable people, 901 thousand people in over 85 prisons, and 650 idiots in Parliament.
Apparently, this was NOT an acceptable answer.

Who the hell did I miss? :razz:
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2008
6278 posts
2753 upvotes
Toronto
wayne74 wrote: +1
But has to be done in multiple transactions. The more fees the better :facepalm:
Sorry, forgot to add that part in. Good catch, Wayne.
Dec 18, 2006
43 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
Just pitching in my $0.02:
  • Make an e-commerce site. Add an item for a price that is equal to your rent, let's say: $500.
  • Make a Paypal account with your debit card information.
  • Now go to your e-commerce site, purchase the item using your credit card (this should not be in your Paypal account).
  • So now, the money will be transferred from your credit card to your Paypal account. This will be charged as a normal transaction.
  • You can now withdraw the money from Paypal to your bank account and pay the rent as cash.
For the above strategy, Paypal will charge you $14.80 (based on $500). Is that a suitable fee for the amount of miles you will accumulate? Not sure, you decide :)

P.S: If you need to create an e-commerce site, message me :D
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4360 posts
585 upvotes
Messed Up Area
Just request cheques from your CC and pay rent with those. Thats how I pay rent for my place and gain AM's
Dec 18, 2006
43 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
theguyz wrote: Just request cheques from your CC and pay rent with those. Thats how I pay rent for my place and gain AM's
Wouldn't that be charged as a cash advance?
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2012
2045 posts
193 upvotes
Guelph
theguyz wrote: Just request cheques from your CC and pay rent with those. Thats how I pay rent for my place and gain AM's
That's what I was going to suggest. Never used a cc cheque before so not exactly sure if there's any fees in processing them. Also if they look like cc cheques the landlord may still be iffy about accepting them.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1465 posts
348 upvotes
Quebec City
Landlord wouldn't really cares if it is a CC check... what he doesn't want is the hassle of dealing with CC companies, and obviously, fees!
There is no fees for the landlord with a CC check , he just takes and deposits it the same way he always does with your check, no hassle, no fees, no problem.

Credit card = setting an account with CC company + fees of 3% or more. (not sure of these details as I never look at this but I guess it's not simple)
Paypal = 2.9% fees for the landlord... why would he accept this form of payment to allow you to get 2% cash-back?

I would accept Paypal as I have an account, but would charge you 3% fees.

And BTW, you never get cashback when you use cash advance of CC checks! Would be too easy to abuse. In fact, Citibank already done this for a promo with Driver's Edge 2%: Get normal cashback when you use our CC checks, max 10,000$. I just prepaid 10k$ to my CC (to avoid any %interest) and made a check to myself for 10k$), deposed the same day. No interest paid and I got free 200$.

And don't forget the interest is running the second you take this cash advance... no 30 days delay like any normal purchase. You can overcome this with sudn3sc3d trick (e-commerce), but you still have the 2.9% Paypal fees... so your rewards must be over 3%, which is hard to find!
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2012
2045 posts
193 upvotes
Guelph
You'd still get charged cash advance fees for using cc cheques wouldn't you?
Dec 18, 2006
43 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
Yes, here's how it works for TD Visa: A TD Visa Cheque is treated as a Cash Advance and accrues interest from the date that it is posted to your Account until full payment is received.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)