Personal Finance

Can I pretty much delete my old PayPal account?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 24th, 2020 7:18 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2013
1139 posts
486 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Can I pretty much delete my old PayPal account?

I am sorry if I have wrong information, last time I purchased on eBay was around 5-7 years ago...but it seems to me that you can nowadays pay with a credit card, correct?
As in PayPal is no longer essentially required to buy something on eBay and one can live without it, right?

I just want to delete it so that its one less thing to worry about. Thanks in advance.
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6379 posts
2023 upvotes
BC
Still can serve a good purpose in buyer protection and somewhere to receive your Rakuten Cash Back etc.

Can't see it is something to worry about as long as you use it solely to your benefit and not incur any fees.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1427 posts
1008 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Varian wrote: I am sorry if I have wrong information, last time I purchased on eBay was around 5-7 years ago...but it seems to me that you can nowadays pay with a credit card, correct?
As in PayPal is no longer essentially required to buy something on eBay and one can live without it, right?

I just want to delete it so that its one less thing to worry about. Thanks in advance.
Personally, I wouldn't delete. I'm somewhat like you where I got my PayPal account mainly for eBay purchases which I haven't used eBay in a few years.

When an online company uses PayPal, I will use my PayPal account to pay for my purchase. Yes, these online companies sometimes use credit cards directly also but it saves me from having to enter my credit card information on their site where it might get compromised (which has happened to me in the past... such as on NewEgg). In fact, recently on NewEgg, I purchased a Nvidea Shield TV Pro and I used PayPal to pay for it whereas the last time I used NewEgg about 2 years ago, I used my credit card directly (and their site was compromised at that time and the hackers got my credit card information that I used).
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
3144 posts
981 upvotes
GTA
Yea a Paypal account especially one with good history should be kept open, whenever I use a website I am not 100% sure off, I use Paypal.
Jan 24, 2004
483 posts
75 upvotes
I don't use my PayPal account much either but it's good to have. Just make sure you keep a small balance (if you received money from somebody, immediately transfer it out) and keep it secured. Years ago, I've heard of cases where you receive payment and send something to somebody. The receiver will contact Paypal and claim it's fraud and PayPal will immediately transfer the funds out of your account. But, if the funds are already transferred out, they can't do that. They're merely a transfer intermediary and don't need to adhere to regulations like a bank (correct me if that has changed)
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1765 posts
564 upvotes
My paypal keeps telling me to verify my identify, I upload the info they want and it tells me to wait but never actually does anything...
Oct 17, 2008
586 posts
137 upvotes
Earth
You can always remove all bank and credit card info from your profile....after a while, you may get lucky they would give you some money to come back....
I've received $10 for keeping my inactive account with pretty much nothing in it..Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Jan 24, 2004
483 posts
75 upvotes
andy_ca_cn wrote: You can always remove all bank and credit card info from your profile....after a while, you may get lucky they would give you some money to come back....
I've received $10 for keeping my inactive account with pretty much nothing in it..Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Yes. Remove the bank and credit card info in Paypal! If you aren't using it, you don't want it compromising your important bank functions!
May 26, 2009
540 posts
708 upvotes
Calgary
I would keep it, as there could be value in an aged account if you ever want to start using it to receive money. There would be fewer holds on an account with history. Of course, having actual usage would make it even more useful.
May 24, 2018
460 posts
291 upvotes
Ontario
Yes, you can close your paypal account. Checking my email archives, I did in 2004.

BTW, I think one don't need an account in order to pay a vendor on paypal.