Home & Garden

Can I receive rebates for the same upgrade from both SaveOn energy and Uniongas's Home Reno?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 2nd, 2019 2:02 pm
[OP]
Mar 31, 2019
12 posts

Can I receive rebates for the same upgrade from both SaveOn energy and Uniongas's Home Reno?

I have recently installed a high-efficiency furnace that is qualified under both rebate programmes. I intended to get the rebate from Union Gas's Home Reno, and was aware that the same upgrade could not be used to get rebate from multiple similar programmes.

However, the furnace contractor recommends me to get an additional rebate from SaveON on top of the Union Gas one, and he says that he has been doing this many years for many customers, and there shouldn't be a problem. I just received the rebate application for SaveON filled out by the furnace company on my behalf, and one of terms and conditions says that we won't be eligible if we have received or will receive "... ... any financial incentives funded by energy ratepayers or taxpayers of the Province of Ontario, with respect to the Eligible HVAC Measure(s)... ..."

Has anyone heard of such practice? Is it common and legit?
4 replies
Nov 2, 2015
180 posts
138 upvotes
Oakville
obrigado wrote: I have recently installed a high-efficiency furnace that is qualified under both rebate programmes. I intended to get the rebate from Union Gas's Home Reno, and was aware that the same upgrade could not be used to get rebate from multiple similar programmes.

However, the furnace contractor recommends me to get an additional rebate from SaveON on top of the Union Gas one, and he says that he has been doing this many years for many customers, and there shouldn't be a problem. I just received the rebate application for SaveON filled out by the furnace company on my behalf, and one of terms and conditions says that we won't be eligible if we have received or will receive "... ... any financial incentives funded by energy ratepayers or taxpayers of the Province of Ontario, with respect to the Eligible HVAC Measure(s)... ..."

Has anyone heard of such practice? Is it common and legit?
A lot of contractors will do this.. though I don't believe it's legit. It scoffs out contractors that are quoting jobs and don't want to double dip in the rebate program, but I know a lot of people will search for these guys that will apply for both rebates on the customers behalf to maximize their savings. Half of me says go for it, half of me is frowning because I lost jobs this way.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1358 posts
1464 upvotes
West GTA
It is against the policy of the program - you are required to certify that you are only using one program, and that if you use two you forfeit the rebate from both. So there's risk here since you're scamming the programs. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9960 posts
5246 upvotes
Paris
grumble wrote: It is against the policy of the program - you are required to certify that you are only using one program, and that if you use two you forfeit the rebate from both. So there's risk here since you're scamming the programs. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
With GreenOn some folks using both programs (legally) had to prove they were legit. For instance on windows they could claim 10 on one and 10 on the other and some were asked to prove they were not double dipping.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2289 posts
1635 upvotes
SW Ontario
If you can legitimately do it, then great but I am pretty sure it's only one if you play by the rules from what I recall reading.

Otherwise, It comes down to the price your willing to sell out your integrity to save a few dollars ...
I have walked away from doing some rather large business with other companies who suggest I compromise my integrity to save some money doing business with them. If your willing have me lie or cheat, how can I be sure you're not going to do the same to me when you have the chance?.
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...