• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2018 8:02 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
1191 posts
23 upvotes

Can I recover data from my overwritten SSD drive

Hi to all computer experts

I forgot to backup my data (old data) before I deploy a windows image from the server and now the new image overwrote my old data on the same SSD Drive.

May I know is there any way to recover my old data from my SSD drive now ?
Trade with me 100% confidence and my feedback on RedFlagDeals, eBay and Revscene.net :
Feedback on RedFlagDeals.com
Feedback on EBay.com
REVScene Feedback Ratings
1 reply
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2814 upvotes
Possibly some of your data can be recovered, but it won't be easy and it will likely be fragmented.

If you formatted the drive during installation, you erased all of the file system structure, so the entire root of the file structure will be gone. If you installed an image, then you implicitly formatted the drive.

However it's likely that your new Windows image installed on top of the old one, and your old data may still be there in areas of the drive that were largely untouched. A low level scan may be able to pick up usable fragments of your files, or complete files if they were small or written sequentially. There may even be some directory structures. You can try using a low-level recovery utility.

Unfortunately SSDs are designed to shuffle memory mapping around for unallocated file clusters, so it's likely that things will soon be completely scrambled if they aren't already.