Careers

Can I refuse contract offer after working through 10 months for agency?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 23rd, 2016 10:19 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
1805 posts
256 upvotes
Toronto

Can I refuse contract offer after working through 10 months for agency?

Hello guys, i am working as a cycle counter at this company.
so my company is 3rd party logistics; and they just hired one department this week but they are only offering me a contract position along with other colleagues; one of the cycle counter just quit because company is not hiring.
So, can I change job or take 1 month vacation while on contract? If not can I choose to stay with the agency and not sign contract?

Can I get ei if I am not offered job officially after 10 months of probation period? What rights do I have?
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5654 posts
2168 upvotes
The way you framed your question, the answer must be "yes". You can refuse anything. You can take a month vacation or even a year if you want. There's nothing physically stopping you. You just might not have a job when you come back. Talk to the company about the 1 month vacation. As for changing job while on contract. I personally believe in honor. If you agreed to work until a certain time, you should man up and do it.

Did you already find another job? Finding a job takes time. I wouldn't even worry about breaking the contract if your time frame is 1 month. For many positions, by the time you finish your 2nd or 3rd interview, it's already a month. That's my experience anyways. I don't know exactly how much time you have left in your contract but it's pretty common for people to start looking months before their contract is up.

In Canada, employees have significantly more rights than employers. Chances are good you can leave while on contract and the company (or agency) won't bother taking any legal action against you. But you'd be burning a bridge and they probably won't ever give you a good reference. And having a good reference is pretty important for finding a job.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8541 posts
2655 upvotes
Toronto
indca wrote: Hello guys, i am working as a cycle counter at this company.
so my company is 3rd party logistics; and they just hired one department this week but they are only offering me a contract position along with other colleagues; one of the cycle counter just quit because company is not hiring.
So, can I change job or take 1 month vacation while on contract? If not can I choose to stay with the agency and not sign contract?

Can I get ei if I am not offered job officially after 10 months of probation period? What rights do I have?
Staying with the agency means the agency will have to find you another employer since the logistics company is trying to buy you out of the agency.
Taking a 1 month vacation while on contract, you have to talk to your supervisor/boss if they will allow you to do it.

Since you mention contract (contract is not the same as probation period), at the end of the contract if the logistics company did not extend your contract or hire you on permanent basis then you are qualify for EI (if you quit because they did not make you permanent employee then NO)
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
893 upvotes
just quit...do what u want to be happy
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
You can do whatever you like. However, they may find someone else to fill your position if you chose not to take their contract. Your agency may or may not chose to work with you.

As far as EI goes, depending on your contract with the agency, you may not be eligible for EI. Did you pay EI?

C