Automotive

Can I register the car with someone else as insurer?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2020 8:22 pm
[OP]
Jan 16, 2019
32 posts
7 upvotes

Can I register the car with someone else as insurer?

Hi guys, hope you are doing well during pandemic,

A short brief of my situation:
I recently bought a new car from the dealership, I paid this car and it will be owned by me. However this is considered a gift to my girlfriend, which she will be the driver for most of the time. Also, since I have one minor conviction and one at-fault accident history, her insurance quote is cheaper than mine. Is it possible that she purchases a policy for this car and get it registered, that means in the condition which the car owner is not insured but this car is insured?

Another question: I know this car/this VIN is insured so there will be no problem with insurance validation from Police, but what will happen if I decided to drive this car for a short period of time (i.e. when she drinks or she simply doesn't want to drive), and got pulled? Will the No Insurance charge apply to me in such case?
8 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37751 posts
23837 upvotes
Center of Universe
Do you two live in the same address?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3007 upvotes
OP, let us know what you find out.

I was thinking about a similar situation. My wife has her own car and policy; I have my own car, and pay for a separate policy, with the same insurance company.

My question is, if I buy a new car for my wife, and I register it to my name, can she still have her own policy? Car registered to me.... she pays for the insurance... if we get divorced, I hope to take both cars with me...
949 upvotes
Toronto
Proof of Insurance given to the police is under the car, not the driver so they won't know. Now, if you get into an accident without being a secondary driver on the policy, they can deny your claim.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9310 posts
1879 upvotes
Ontario
Whom ever the ownership is registered to, the policy must read the same. So, if the ownership is in your name, you must take out the policy; however, you can list anyone as a driver. If you reside in the same household and only have 1 vehicle, you may be required to be listed as a driver.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Feb 13, 2017
222 posts
214 upvotes
ON
Electrah wrote: Proof of Insurance given to the police is under the car, not the driver so they won't know. Now, if you get into an accident without being a secondary driver on the policy, they can deny your claim.
I dont think so, anyone can drive your car, when they borrow the car they borrow your insurance as well
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2346 posts
3059 upvotes
cutepoison wrote: I dont think so, anyone can drive your car, when they borrow the car they borrow your insurance as well
That varies TREMENDOUSLY based upon jurisdiction, insurance provider and policy. Definitely not universally true.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9310 posts
1879 upvotes
Ontario
if an undisclosed driver that resides in the same household drove the car and had an accident, the claim could be denied.
cutepoison wrote: I dont think so, anyone can drive your car, when they borrow the car they borrow your insurance as well
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10118 posts
977 upvotes
Toronto
You have put the car under your gf name regardless what the situation is, you pay for it. Just like going on a dinner date.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."