Travel

Can I rent a car in Norway with an Alberta driver's licence if I'm technically now living in Ontario?

• Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2019 6:42 pm
[OP]
May 27, 2019
6 posts

Can I rent a car in Norway with an Alberta driver's licence if I'm technically now living in Ontario?

Here's my situation:

In January 2019, I moved from Alberta to Ontario for a full time master's program. In March, I changed my health card to an Ontario one and updated addresses on credit cards, banks, etc. I did not change my driver's licence because my Alberta licence was renewed less then 2 years ago, and Service Ontario would not accept that I had more than 2 years of driving experience (I've been driving for 14 years) without a driver's abstract from Alberta to prove my experience.

After a $40 public notary fee, a $25 out of province driver's abstract application fee, and 2 weeks of waiting, I receive my driver's abstract only to find out that it does not contain information on when I actually STARTED driving -- only the date that I renewed my licence. It's useless. I need to submit a new application for a full driving history record ($50), and another public notary fee ($40). I haven't done this yet due to a myriad of things, not to mention the frustration of the whole situation.

I'm going to Norway next week, and was planning to rent a car over there. Is my Alberta licence valid (in the eyes of Alberta/Ontario and the eyes of Norway)? Are there any risks involved (i.e. having car insurance through my credit card who thinks I live in Ontario)? Does Norway care what province I live in? Am I over or under thinking this?

Thanks so much!
14 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2538 posts
1691 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
jhsdafklasdflmksd wrote: Here's my situation:

In January 2019, I moved from Alberta to Ontario for a full time master's program. In March, I changed my health card to an Ontario one and updated addresses on credit cards, banks, etc. I did not change my driver's licence because my Alberta licence was renewed less then 2 years ago, and Service Ontario would not accept that I had more than 2 years of driving experience (I've been driving for 14 years) without a driver's abstract from Alberta to prove my experience.

After a $40 public notary fee, a $25 out of province driver's abstract application fee, and 2 weeks of waiting, I receive my driver's abstract only to find out that it does not contain information on when I actually STARTED driving -- only the date that I renewed my licence. It's useless. I need to submit a new application for a full driving history record ($50), and another public notary fee ($40). I haven't done this yet due to a myriad of things, not to mention the frustration of the whole situation.

I'm going to Norway next week, and was planning to rent a car over there. Is my Alberta licence valid (in the eyes of Alberta/Ontario and the eyes of Norway)? Are there any risks involved (i.e. having car insurance through my credit card who thinks I live in Ontario)? Does Norway care what province I live in? Am I over or under thinking this?

Thanks so much!
So do you have a valid drivers licence now (AB or ON?)

...I would check with your credit card. Keep in mind most credits make you decline certain insurances from the car rental co. in order to be valid. I would give them a call- none of us here know which CC you have and in this case it’s better to obtain the exact info from them.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
12549 posts
9775 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Some time red tape / bureaucracy is a royal PITA... makes no sense
This is one example
And so I get why you have jumped thru all the hoops as of yet

That said...

The law in Ontario states that you have 60 Days from the time you move until the time you get an Ontario Drivers License
After that your out of Province / State License isn’t “technically valid”

https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange-ou ... rs-licence

So ya, technically here ... you are driving around now without a license

More so, cuz you changed all your other documentation to Ontario Residency months ago

The Norwegian’s probably won’t check / care

They’ll just be looking for the Expiry Date on your plastics

BUT... get a ticket or worse ... and ya SOMEONE SOMEWHERE is gonna care ...
and it’s going to cost you a lot more than $ 90 with a Notary
To wiggle out of... there WILL BE LAWYERS involved

Not to mention the fact your insurance could be NULL & VOID

Get this crap sorted now
[OP]
May 27, 2019
6 posts
BrunetteGirl wrote: So do you have a valid drivers licence now (AB or ON?)

...I would check with your credit card. Keep in mind most credits make you decline certain insurances from the car rental co. in order to be valid. I would give them a call- none of us here know which CC you have and in this case it’s better to obtain the exact info from them.
The validity is what I'm asking. I have an Alberta licence that is not expired, but I was supposed to switch it over to Ontario 60 days after I moved. I don't have an Ontario licence.
My credit card is a Visa Infinite Momentum. I'll have to look more into it.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2538 posts
1691 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
jhsdafklasdflmksd wrote: The validity is what I'm asking. I have an Alberta licence that is not expired, but I was supposed to switch it over to Ontario 60 days after I moved. I don't have an Ontario licence.
My credit card is a Visa Infinite Momentum. I'll have to look more into it.
I doubt anyone in Norway cares about which province you live in / vs which province it’s issued from. A valid Canadian drivers license is what matters.

Now if visa has a problem - which I doubt that’s a different story. You can still rent a car just purchase insurance from a 3rd party / car rental.

I suggest Auto Europe - 24/7 call centre based out of the US and can go over your insurance options.
[OP]
May 27, 2019
6 posts
PointsHubby wrote: Some time red tape / bureaucracy is a royal PITA... makes no sense
This is one example
And so I get why you have jumped thru all the hoops as of yet

That said...

The law in Ontario states that you have 60 Days from the time you move until the time you get an Ontario Drivers License
After that your out of Province / State License isn’t “technically valid”

https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange-ou ... rs-licence

So ya, technically here ... you are driving around now without a license

More so, cuz you changed all your other documentation to Ontario Residency months ago

The Norwegian’s probably won’t check / care

They’ll just be looking for the Expiry Date on your plastics

BUT... get a ticket or worse ... and ya SOMEONE SOMEWHERE is gonna care ...
and it’s going to cost you a lot more than $ 90 with a Notary
To wiggle out of... there WILL BE LAWYERS involved

Not to mention the fact your insurance could be NULL & VOID

Get this crap sorted now
Yes this sums up my concerns, though I haven't been driving at all in Ontario. If I was I would have put a lot more effort into getting it figured out right away...
Unfortunately I can't get the licence sorted before I go, and even if I could I'd only have the temporary paper licence, which I've read they wont accept.

Seems like I'm in a grey area without a clear answer at the moment.
[OP]
May 27, 2019
6 posts
BrunetteGirl wrote: I doubt anyone in Norway cares about which province you live in / vs which province it’s issued from. A valid Canadian drivers license is what matters.

Now if visa has a problem - which I doubt that’s a different story. You can still rent a car just purchase insurance from a 3rd party / car rental.

I suggest Auto Europe - 24/7 call centre based out of the US and can go over your insurance options.
Thanks for the input!
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2186 posts
1122 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The license you have is still valid. It's simply not valid in Ontario. But it is still valid in Norway. Unless there's an Alberta laws that specifically says your license becomes invalid if you have residency in another province, you're good to go.

So at this point, you need to check what Alberta law says about you moving to another province and the subsequent validity of your license.
Oct 3, 2011
583 posts
374 upvotes
OTTAWA
aahhh telephone hot potato. Maybe if you can call a rental company that's based in norway and ask as well? Explain your situation that you are currently in the process of getting your license changed but it's still valid in the province of issue (after confirming of course). Best to find out if you can rent a car or not before you get there and find out you can't. At least you'll have some time to come up with a plan rather than be on the spot with the issue.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2186 posts
1122 upvotes
Toronto, ON
lurkknight wrote: aahhh telephone hot potato. Maybe if you can call a rental company that's based in norway and ask as well? Explain your situation that you are currently in the process of getting your license changed but it's still valid in the province of issue (after confirming of course). Best to find out if you can rent a car or not before you get there and find out you can't. At least you'll have some time to come up with a plan rather than be on the spot with the issue.
I'd say there's absolutely no chance the rental company call centre would have any clue about any of this. You'll only get misled talking to them.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14950 posts
4183 upvotes
London
canoek wrote: The license you have is still valid. It's simply not valid in Ontario. But it is still valid in Norway. Unless there's an Alberta laws that specifically says your license becomes invalid if you have residency in another province, you're good to go.

So at this point, you need to check what Alberta law says about you moving to another province and the subsequent validity of your license.
As long as he is a full time student and still has a residence in AB, he still is a AB resident as he did not resettle into ON

Only if he has actually resettled into ON does he need an ON driver’s licence (I.e no longer full time student, maintains no residence in AB)
[OP]
May 27, 2019
6 posts
l69norm wrote: As long as he is a full time student and still has a residence in AB, he still is a AB resident as he did not resettle into ON

Only if he has actually resettled into ON does he need an ON driver’s licence (I.e no longer full time student, maintains no residence in AB)
I no longer have a residence in AB. I am a full time student in ON, and I switched my health card, CRA info, etc., just not my driver's licence.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2186 posts
1122 upvotes
Toronto, ON
jhsdafklasdflmksd wrote: I no longer have a residence in AB. I am a full time student in ON, and I switched my health card, CRA info, etc., just not my driver's licence.
So you need to check the law, and whether the Albertan licence still remains valid if you've moved out of the province.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)