Computers & Electronics

Can I retrofit old Dell AC Power block with a USB-C tip for my new Lenovo?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 10th, 2019 3:23 pm
[OP]
Apr 5, 2009
874 posts
210 upvotes

Can I retrofit old Dell AC Power block with a USB-C tip for my new Lenovo?

My work gave me a Lenovo T480s laptop which charges via a 65W AC Adapter which has a USB-C tip. I need extra chargers - home, office, car... can i take my old Dell 65w chargers and just cut and tape/solder on a USB-C tip? It's a shame to waste the older chargers and pay for ones
8 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
10729 posts
2602 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
you also need to compare all the voltages not just 65watts to see if it will be compatible.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6798 posts
5691 upvotes
North York
i wouldn't do it myself, but i want to see if it's possible. OP give it a shot, it's only work laptop, not yours, lol
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
7674 posts
2458 upvotes
Maple
+1. I wouldn't risk it. Just ask office to order 1 more charger. I had 2 when I got my work laptop. My boss ordered 1 extra for us.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14556 posts
7455 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
A lot more than just the physical tip goes into what you are thinking can be done. There's a lot of circuitry for USB-C to work so that it can be multi-use.

If you are set on re-using those old DELL chargers, I would look for a USB-C power supply circuit board or kit that doesn't provide a power source and then see if your existing DELL power bricks can supply power to that USB-C circuit.

Something like this - https://www.coolgear.com/product/usb-ca ... pcb-ccg3pa - may be suitable for your purposes.
Jul 7, 2005
569 posts
149 upvotes
Question: Are you asking because "common sense" is suggesting that it may be plausible since they both are laptop adapters and both rated @ 65 watts?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12962 upvotes
sickcars wrote: you also need to compare all the voltages not just 65watts to see if it will be compatible.
This.
Notebooks have a wide variety of ranges of voltages that they operate on and don't like what they weren't designed for.
This will be a much bigger battle than it seems.
[OP]
Apr 5, 2009
874 posts
210 upvotes
I assume that since the wattage, volts and amps are the same, that it's just the tip and splicing two wires together