Wheels and Tires

Can I store my tires like this?

  • Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2020 3:56 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 9, 2011
1424 posts
832 upvotes
Toronto

Can I store my tires like this?

I'm in my new home, have a full-size double garage, 2 cars, both cars come with 19" and 20" OEM wheels+ tires. I'm storing my wheels side by side against both side of the garage wall. The tires are not rested onto the floor.

Please see attached image, my tires are shimmed/lifted up 3/8" to 1/2" off the ground with 2x4 lumber.

I used to use wall mount in my previous home, but I don't want to use them anymore as my tires + wheels are getting heavy and heavier. I don't want to stack them too because I'm utilizing the back of the garage to store my gas snow plow, gas pressure washer, 80v mower, and miter saw, all my other tools and workbench

So is this way okay? Please advise, thanks!
Images
  • IMG-20200411-WA0002.jpeg
  • IMG-20200411-WA0006.jpeg
  • IMG-20200411-WA0010.jpeg
Last edited by yellowmp5 on Apr 12th, 2020 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
45 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2801 posts
1036 upvotes
Yup. Don’t over think it. You can store wheels/tires pretty much any which way without damaging them.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4577 upvotes
Alberta
Looks good to me. I just stack mine in the corner of the garage.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 19, 2013
842 posts
580 upvotes
Toronto
No issues lol this is super proper
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jul 12, 2003
11558 posts
3818 upvotes
Toronto
jackrabbit000 wrote: I just stack mine in the corner of the garage.
This should be the proper way.
Lay them flat on the floor and you can stack one over another.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
7974 posts
3262 upvotes
Financial District B…
No no... you have to keep them at least 6 feet apart or they will catch COVID
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2009
1383 posts
459 upvotes
Toronto
Nice tire bags! Where did you get them from?
Member
Feb 4, 2017
266 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto
Good way to store. Is the rim face protected? Also is the face of the rim against the wall?

I would put some cardboard between the rim face and the bag, will give You an extra layer of protection from door dings or the rim pressing up against the wall.

Also if the face of the rim is facing outwards, one budge could cause it to topple over.

Great use of space

Edit:I didn't see the bungee cords
Last edited by Hiotosan on Apr 12th, 2020 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 9, 2011
1424 posts
832 upvotes
Toronto
michiebaby wrote: Nice tire bags! Where did you get them from?
These are+10 year totes from Costco. I cut out a hole in the middle for my tire stand long time ago.
Hiotosan wrote: Good way to store. Is the rim face protected? Also is the face of the rim against the wall?

I would put some cardboard between the rim face and the bag, will give You an extra layer of protection from door dings or the rim pressing up against the wall.

Also if the face of the rim is facing outwards, one budge could cause it to topple over.

Great use of space

Edit:I didn't see the bungee cords
Rims are not protected, those are Steelies that I'm storing now. The face is against the wall, to prevent them tipping over (even though I have the bungee)

Unfortunately in order to utilize all the garage space, my front passenger has to enter the vehicle outside the garage, on the driveway...✌🏾
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 9, 2011
1424 posts
832 upvotes
Toronto
MP3_SKY wrote: https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/hot-sell ... e-my-tires

https://www.uniroyal-tyres.com/car/tyre ... tore-tyres

From these articles.

If the tires are mount with rims, store them horizontally and stack them side wall to side wall
if the tires are loose, then vertical.
From the "pictures" of all those articles, they are on the rack, and off the ground. Although they explained it's prefers to be stacked.

My wheels/tires are off the ground as well, not resting onto the ground. Just like all wall shelves and wall mount, 2 point contact with 2x4 lumber, near 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 11, 2006
1812 posts
538 upvotes
Toronto
No room in the shed or basement? The storage looks fine, but it also looks like they're needlessly taking up space for the twice a year that you'll need them.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 9, 2011
1424 posts
832 upvotes
Toronto
dassub wrote: No room in the shed or basement? The storage looks fine, but it also looks like they're needlessly taking up space for the twice a year that you'll need them.
Definitely not storing them in basement, as it's dirty and heavy to bring them each via the stairs (I don't have summer tires, it's either all season or winters) .
Currently no shed yet, my backyard isn't fenced yet as well.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 7, 2004
6019 posts
2367 upvotes
West GTEH!
yellowmp5 wrote: I'm in my new home, have a full-size double garage, 2 cars, both cars come with 19" and 20" OEM wheels+ tires. I'm storing my wheels side by side against both side of the garage wall. The tires are not rested onto the floor.

Please see attached image, my tires are shimmed/lifted up 3/8" to 1/2" off the ground with 2x4 lumber.

I used to use wall mount in my previous home, but I don't want to use them anymore as my tires + wheels are getting heavy and heavier. I don't want to stack them too because I'm utilizing the back of the garage to store my gas snow plow, gas pressure washer, 80v mower, and miter saw, all my other tools and workbench

So is this way okay? Please advise, thanks!
Interesting and creative way to store your tires. I guess if it works for you, it should be OK.

I normally use a tire stand to store my tires.
😎
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 7, 2016
1702 posts
769 upvotes
Ontario
yellowmp5 wrote: Definitely not storing them in basement, as it's dirty and heavy to bring them each via the stairs (I don't have summer tires, it's either all season or winters) .
Currently no shed yet, my backyard isn't fenced yet as well.
You should clean and let them dry before you put them in bags. Always good to get anything corrosive or might stain them if you don't clean them fwiw...
Last edited by IcarusLSC on May 18th, 2020 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
9471 posts
3750 upvotes
You know, for a product that is designed to hold up a 3k-5k lbs vehicle for years, over many season and varying degrees of temperatures, UV and weather conditions, while constantly being rotated at great speeds on hard pavement...

I have never seen a site so concerned with how to store them when they are NOT installed on the vehicle, holding it up, and exposed to the elements, like RFD is.

Take em off, put them somewhere, until you need to put them back on again. It's all good.
Penalty Box
User avatar
Oct 13, 2008
4726 posts
1691 upvotes
I have mine stacked in the corner of my garage under my custom storage shelf. I may decide to raise it off the ground.

IMG_20200331_084121.jpg
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2

Top