• Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2012 1:41 pm
[OP]
Banned
Sep 9, 2011
456 posts
68 upvotes

Can I upgrade my Android OS?

I have android Froyo and was wondering if I can upgrade it to Gingerbread? Or Honeycomb?
My Android is so slow :( Probably because I have so many apps on it :(
15 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20667 posts
6088 upvotes
GTA
First of all, what phone is it?

You probably have to spend a bit of time at XDA forums if it does.

Or it's time to upgrade XD
[OP]
Banned
Sep 9, 2011
456 posts
68 upvotes
coriolis wrote: First of all, what phone is it?

You probably have to spend a bit of time at XDA forums if it does.

Or it's time to upgrade XD
I just got an upgrade a month ago. :(
This was the only phone they had which fit my budget. LG optimus one.
Sep 4, 2005
940 posts
64 upvotes
I think there's quite a lot that can be done with the Optimus One. Check xda forums for more information. Neat little phone.

(How much more was a HTC One V or even the Galaxy Ace?)
Jan 9, 2011
94 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
I just moved a family member's O1 to Ginger Snap 1.3

Installation was quite easy, root with SuperOneClickv2.3.3-ShortFuse, backup with Titanium Backup, get Rom Manager from market and flash amonra recovery, boot into recovery and flash your GS1.3 (do full wipe, bootlooped on my 1st run flashing because of this), go back to recover to flash the other addons like GAPPS.

If it can't get carrier signal (likely the case if you are on stock from Koodoo), go to Terminal Emulator app and type in "su" with quotation marks, then type fixbb, reboot, and you should have a fairly snappy O1.

I currently have it overclocked to 768 Mhz (tested stable, also try recording a video/take pictures to test), but YMMV.
[OP]
Banned
Sep 9, 2011
456 posts
68 upvotes
kanaires wrote: I just moved a family member's O1 to Ginger Snap 1.3

Installation was quite easy, root with SuperOneClickv2.3.3-ShortFuse, backup with Titanium Backup, get Rom Manager from market and flash amonra recovery, boot into recovery and flash your GS1.3 (do full wipe, bootlooped on my 1st run flashing because of this), go back to recover to flash the other addons like GAPPS.

If it can't get carrier signal (likely the case if you are on stock from Koodoo), go to Terminal Emulator app and type in "su" with quotation marks, then type fixbb, reboot, and you should have a fairly snappy O1.

I currently have it overclocked to 768 Mhz (tested stable, also try recording a video/take pictures to test), but YMMV.
Sounds like a s**tload of work. >_<
Any other alternatives?
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
6565 posts
2778 upvotes
Montreal
copperprincess wrote: Sounds like a s**tload of work. >_<
Any other alternatives?
Yes. Pay someone to do it. Or buy a new phone.

If an upgrade isn't available through your carrier, you have to do the legwork to get an update.

Honeycomb is a tablet-specific version of Android so you wouldn't want that on your phone. Also, having a lot of apps installed doesn't slow down your phone.
[OP]
Banned
Sep 9, 2011
456 posts
68 upvotes
psyko514 wrote: Yes. Pay someone to do it. Or buy a new phone.

If an upgrade isn't available through your carrier, you have to do the legwork to get an update.

Honeycomb is a tablet-specific version of Android so you wouldn't want that on your phone. Also, having a lot of apps installed doesn't slow down your phone.
Do you know anyone who can do it? Please PM! :D Thanks!
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4623 posts
541 upvotes
I was wondering the same thing for my phone.
I'm on a Samsung Apollo (GT-I5800) that I picked up while I was in the UK last fall. While Android is alright and I didn't expect much to be honest (in terms of user experience), the lack of any updates especially a working version of Kies (Which Samsung has broken after updates), has really made me not want to get another Android.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
24720 posts
14281 upvotes
Toronto
copperprincess wrote: HEY
Thanks for that site.
After installing the driver, I snooped around and found a way to upgrade my phone! I have a gingerbread now! Kickass xD
OP, now that you have been indoctrinated into ROM updates on android phones, take the next step, root it and install CM7. I am running that on my optimus one. I find it to be faster than the koodo ROM. Another big advantage is I don't have to see the stupid splash screen and jingle again. I am also able to overclock it and get a bit more performance that way. Most importantly, I am able to use s2e to put apps onto the SD card. The biggest weakness of the optimus one is lack of storage space for apps. Once the storage reaches below 30 megs, things slow to a crawl.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2008
2918 posts
569 upvotes
Newmarket
i fricken hate XDA

everytime i go there i find a rom i want to try flashing. then just when i get it setup nice and get used to new features, i find another rom.

fk that site. lol
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2010
2635 posts
161 upvotes
jimmy-j wrote: i fricken hate XDA

everytime i go there i find a rom i want to try flashing. then just when i get it setup nice and get used to new features, i find another rom.

fk that site. lol
Most are quite similar except for themes.

The really good ones are from established devs from that certain device (like designgears had for captivate, or leebear roms for most HTC phones etc, these came off the top of my head, there are many more)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)