Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
13568 posts
2876 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

Can I Use 10 Year Old Gasoline?

I need to use my gas can and apparently I have a bit of 10 year old gasoline in there. Can I use it and mix it with 50L of new gasoline? Or should I just dump it out?
40 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2007
4438 posts
631 upvotes
use it for your lawn motor but i wont put it in my car lol
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
13200 posts
9794 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Even old gas is still like gold. Look at Walking Dead!!!
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
2758 posts
15294 upvotes
I would say it depends on how it was stored and what kind of gas was in it. If we are talking high grade ethanol free in an airtight container that’s been stored in a cool place out of the sunlight then it should be fine but may be best to swirl it around and then open it up to see if there are sediments stored inside floating around.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3274 posts
2038 upvotes
GTA
10 years old gasoline? 10 years old knows the answer...
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
12105 posts
5249 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Depends on how much you are planning to mix with 50L. A small amount would probably be fine as it probably won't do any worse than some of the older stations with leaky tanks that let in water and other contamination.
Apr 26, 2019
191 posts
262 upvotes
GVA
You probably paid like $4 for it 10 years ago. Do you really wanna risk messing up your car for $4?
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2411 posts
1311 upvotes
markopas wrote: I would say it depends on how it was stored and what kind of gas was in it. If we are talking high grade ethanol free in an airtight container that’s been stored in a cool place out of the sunlight then it should be fine but may be best to swirl it around and then open it up to see if there are sediments stored inside floating around.
Whats wrong with ethanol? Surely you'd drink a 10-year-old bottle of vodka or whiskey, would you not?

My view -- dilute it, and don't even think twice..
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4649 posts
2047 upvotes
Mississauga
Ethanol absorbs water so unless the gas can was hermetically sealed there’s going to be water in that 10 year old gasoline.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1142 upvotes
If there is stabilizer in it and it was stored properly, sure. If not, no. I would sooner pour it (with a large percentage of new gas) in a car with a fuel filter, then pour it into a small engine like a lawn mower or snowblower that has tiny little carburetor passages and no fuel filter. I guess if it's a old mower you don't care about sure, but you'll be mad if it doesn't start anymore after using the gas.
Apr 15, 2014
751 posts
707 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Yea, there is definitely water in that can. You dont want that in your engine.
Please respond
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2010
1637 posts
511 upvotes
Alpha Centauri
I've seen a neighbor pour gasoline on his front lawn which had no grass and all weeds and burn them all up before placing fresh sod down.
10 year old gas still has some worthwhile uses in situations like this, but I wouldn't take a chance of pouring it into a gas tank of a car.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41732 posts
5335 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
HotYaris wrote: I've seen a neighbor pour gasoline on his front lawn which had no grass and all weeds and burn them all up before placing fresh sod down.
10 year old gas still has some worthwhile uses in situations like this, but I wouldn't take a chance of pouring it into a gas tank of a car.
Accelerant for camp fires! Great idea.
Insurance fraud! J/k thats highly against the law.

It does work as a cleaning agent. If you got some really rusty or junky garden tools.

You can lube your door hinges or clean bicycle chains.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3968 posts
908 upvotes
10 years old? Put on Kijiji and sell it high now.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8