Computers & Electronics

Can i use 200v Japan appliance in canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2022 4:28 pm
Dec 26, 2005
298 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto

Can i use 200v Japan appliance in canada?

I'm interested in buying an appliance with 200v 50/60hz voltage and single phase from Japan . Can i use it in canada? I have the 208v socket in my store. Does it cause damage on the appliance with the 8v difference for long term use? Thanks for the help.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2020
1406 posts
1686 upvotes
Technically, it will almost certainly work. Legally, since you're planning to use the appliance in a commercial setting, you will have to go through a lot of legal paperwork to import it and get it approved for use in Canada.

The allowed voltage ranges for Japanese nominal 200 and Canadian nominal 208 are functionally identical: 180-220 V. The device will work on Canadian power provided the appropriate plug can be attached.

The legal process to import an unapproved electrical device into the country and then satisfy the ESA that the device is safe to use in Ontario. however, will be so expensive that's very unlikely to be worth the hassle/money unless the appliance will earn at least high five figures of revenue.

If you want to go ahead with this, hire an import broker that has experience with appliances or light industrial machinery.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
1225 posts
580 upvotes
Richmond Hill
y2knp wrote: I'm interested in buying an appliance with 200v 50/60hz voltage and single phase from Japan . Can i use it in canada? I have the 208v socket in my store. Does it cause damage on the appliance with the 8v difference for long term use? Thanks for the help.
if its not approved, no. Due to insurance reasons.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
3474 posts
2697 upvotes
Vancouver
The appliance should work fine. AC voltage often tends to vary and so most appliances will easily tolerate 10% or even more. You should also be able to use it with a voltage converter on a 110V point
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2087 posts
1134 upvotes
Alberta
Can't speak for 200V, but we use 100V JDM appliances at home no issue. One is some cosmetic face steamer for my wife, the other is a takoyaki grill thing, both been in use in Canada with direct connection (no converters) for over 10 years.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10217 posts
5530 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
What's the nature of the appliance? Any transformer or does it just produce heat? Some stuff is less sensitive to higher (or lower) -than-designed voltages.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
May 22, 2012
18 posts
3 upvotes
Hamilton
Agreed with the two posters that caution the usage of the appliance in a commercial environment. It must have a CSA or UL approval sticker or you could find yourself in 'hot water' if there is an incident that involves the appliance. Your insurance company will definitely not pay out any damages. As for the poster who says he has been OK with using 100V devices at home without issue, I will just say be careful and not use the appliances continuously on a long term basis. The power in the household receptacle is 115V which is 15% overvoltage. Unlikely to cause any damage in the short term. But keep an eye open for any over-heating of the wiring or the appliances.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)