• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2021 12:34 pm
[OP]
Oct 18, 2009
154 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Can kitchen bulk head size be altered with builder

I our new built with 9 ft ceiling. The upper cabinets will reach up to 8 ft and then bulkhead above these.

I searched online and found that the standard depth of bulk head from back wall is 13-14 inches. Just wondering if builder can make it as 12 inches so that it’s kind of flush with the cabinetry and thus can be finished as “riser”in same paint as cabinets to give a better look. There will be no mechanical or plumbing’s housed in bulkhead.

The builder can delete the bulkhead for free but then I have to spend money $4K to install riser upto ceiling from the builder ....
8 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
808 upvotes
Waterloo
cooltoronto wrote: I our new built with 9 ft ceiling. The upper cabinets will reach up to 8 ft and then bulkhead above these.

I searched online and found that the standard depth of bulk head from back wall is 13-14 inches. Just wondering if builder can make it as 12 inches so that it’s kind of flush with the cabinetry and thus can be finished as “riser”in same paint as cabinets to give a better look. There will be no mechanical or plumbing’s housed in bulkhead.

The builder can delete the bulkhead for free but then I have to spend money $4K to install riser upto ceiling from the builder ....
Isnt this a question better answered by the builder in question?

----
Pay it forward.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2009
1434 posts
987 upvotes
Brampton
Anything can be changed but it will cost you big.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
1025 posts
402 upvotes
GTA
My last house was a new build. I am pretty sure the bulkhead was flush with the cabinets (yes, we had 9 ft ceilings). I added crown and painted bulkhead same colour as kitchen walls. Everything seemed to look fine.
[OP]
Oct 18, 2009
154 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I wanted to do something like as shown in picture below. To paint the bulkhead in white as my cabinets are white and apply crown molding. I requested the builder to make the bulkhead flush with cabinets but haven’t heard back from them yet.
Images
  • 612C8901-6BA0-4D9A-A615-8C9D328EF9AD.jpeg
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
1025 posts
402 upvotes
GTA
cooltoronto wrote: I wanted to do something like as shown in picture below. To paint the bulkhead in white as my cabinets are white and apply crown molding.
Pic shown is not a bulkhead - they did not have a bulkhead above the cabinets and used a sub-molding to drop down to the cabinets and then added crown to the top.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9957 posts
5244 upvotes
Paris
westcoastyvr wrote: Pic shown is not a bulkhead - they did not have a bulkhead above the cabinets and used a sub-molding to drop down to the cabinets and then added crown to the top.
Agreed, that’s wood over 2x4s (most likely) not drywall over 2x4s. Easy to do after by your crown guy.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3910 posts
3370 upvotes
The difference in price is because the riser that the builder would install is not made from drywall. It's made from the cabinet material that is finish painted the same colour as the cabinets and most likely will need the addition of a couple of trim pieces where the riser meets the ceiling or cabinets.

With a cost of $4k for the riser, I would look at instead installing a double stack of cupboards. Something like this: https://mattamyhomes.com/ottawa.aspx.

Just keep in mind that doing it after yourself you may find it difficult to match the cabinet paint color exactly.