• Jan 13th, 2021 10:44 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
4287 posts
399 upvotes
GTA

Can a landlord shut off water?

We run a daycare and our landlord just informed us that the neighboring building wants to shut off the water to both buildings for an entire day to do some work. They gave us an option of a few dates to chose from. We cannot operate without running water ofcourse so that means we will have to shut down for that day, but that would not only be costly but also inconvenience lots of families.
Do we have any rights in this kind of situation?

Its a license building in a commercial location
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1513 posts
527 upvotes
Abbotsford
urir10 wrote: We run a daycare and our landlord just informed us that the neighboring building wants to shut off the water to both buildings for an entire day to do some work. They gave us an option of a few dates to chose from. We cannot operate without running water ofcourse so that means we will have to shut down for that day, but that would not only be costly but also inconvenience lots of families.
Do we have any rights in this kind of situation?

Its a license building in a commercial location
It would seem to me that is something you can demand be done on the weekend - if it's an essential repair it's gonna need to be done - but no reason they can't accommodate. You should call your local town hall - they would know best
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
1110 posts
1056 upvotes
Markham, ON
I imagine if the water needs to be shut off for repairs, there isn't much to be done.

When I used to live in apartments in the 90s and then condo as an adult, sometimes they would shut off the water from 9am to 5pm for repairs.

Recently at my parents house, they had to shut off water to the house when doing some watermain repairs.
FIDO, Koodo, Public Mobile, TELUS customer.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
4287 posts
399 upvotes
GTA
this isnt technically for emergency repairs, the neighboring has built an extension and i guess they want to connect to it, so they want to shut down water to both buildings for an entire day.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1513 posts
527 upvotes
Abbotsford
urir10 wrote: this isnt technically for emergency repairs, the neighboring has built an extension and i guess they want to connect to it, so they want to shut down water to both buildings for an entire day.
if it was emergency repairs it would have happened already. I would push for a weekend repair - call the town and ask what your rights are
Apr 2, 2020
183 posts
70 upvotes
Residential leases usually have bylaws that govern them but commercial leases don't. Your rights will be limited to whatever is listed in your lease agreement. So check your lease agreement.

Shutting off the water for a day seems like a reasonable thing to do if the work needs to be done.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1362 posts
1184 upvotes
Toronto
Plumbers charge a hefty premium for the weekend.
It would make sense to do it on a business day between 9 to 5.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5226 posts
2805 upvotes
Toronto
Can you ask the landlord to provide you with 100 buckets of water for toilet when kids need to go and for the kitchen?