Automotive

Can MTO employees look up my address using my license plate?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2022 1:01 pm
[OP]
May 14, 2015
34 posts
18 upvotes

Can MTO employees look up my address using my license plate?

Just genuinely curious. My father works for the MTO. My parents ask why I don’t visit as often and I rightfully tell them I live far away now. Does anyone here work for the MTO and know if it’s possible to look someone up on their database with just a license plate?
6 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1278 posts
1820 upvotes
Toronto
Probably, but it would not be ethical for them to do so and they could lose their job for acessing private information.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
31582 posts
12869 upvotes
Yes they can. But as said doing so for non-work purposes would be against policy for sure. Of course it depends on what they do for MTO. If they are in some department that has nothing to do with licencsing/plates/etc. then they probably wouldn't have access to that. They could probably ask certain colleagues to get it for them but then that would raise obvious concerns--unless those people were very good friends or other family members, doubt that's going to slide without questioning/trouble.

However this sounds like a funny story in the making. I'm guessing you live, or plan on moving, down the street from your folks but are telling them you live in another city? :lol:
Jul 18, 2012
499 posts
247 upvotes
Toronto
I’d love to be a fly on the wall in your next Christmas dinner :D
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
27830 posts
7968 upvotes
Hamilton
Cool story bro
hated on but respected.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
4766 posts
4502 upvotes
Ottawa
So your relationship with your parents is that they don't know your actual address only that you "live far away" and they want to know why you don't visit? You are so concerned that they might learn of your address that you wonder if your father can look it up by your license plate? Your father knows your license plate number but not your actual address? lol. Interesting - if you asked me my own license plate number right now I would have to go out and look.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8924 posts
1407 upvotes
Lol, if your dad shows up to your place unannounced, I would call his work and have him fired for breaking privacy laws, people should know better then to look up their sons through the MTO system.