• Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2018 3:59 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4615 posts
3080 upvotes

Can my headlights become worse?

Anyways been noticing that the headlight lens turning yellow lately. How much of a hit in the brightness category of I leave them like that? Also looking at youtube video people use toothpaste to clean off the yellowness. Should I try it?
Here is how they look.
Images
  • 20180728_102124.jpg
18 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
Yes they can get worse.

Toothpaste is useless for this problem. Go to Crappytire and get the 3M headlight kit it's one of the better DIY ones.

The problem with clouded lights isn't just reduced brightness but also increased glare for other drivers as your projectors cutoffs arent as effective anymore.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Make sure whatever you use has a UV protecting coating, otherwise it will yellow even faster.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4615 posts
3080 upvotes
Ok I just came back from ct and will try rubbing them lights with the stuff in the kit.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4615 posts
3080 upvotes
The water sand made it very matte and the paste using a polisher seem to bring back the original state.
Now to do the other side.
Images
  • 20180728_102120.jpg
Deal Guru
Jul 15, 2008
10544 posts
4141 upvotes
Toronto
You'll need to apply some UV Protectant + seal to it otherwise it will go yellow. I never restored my headlights but that's what I've read and seems to make sense.
Jan 13, 2007
689 posts
669 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
cristianosham wrote: The water sand made it very matte and the paste using a polisher seem to bring back the original state.
Now to do the other side.
Good job. That's all it takes to rejuvenate headlights. I've done this a few times already and the difference is literally night and day.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23734 upvotes
Richmond Hill
chinesedevil wrote: You'll need to apply some UV Protectant + seal to it otherwise it will go yellow. I never restored my headlights but that's what I've read and seems to make sense.
The kit he bought comes with the UV protectant.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
Good results, OP!

I restored mine using the 3M kit after reading good reviews for it and got good results too. But I've never seen it at CT, I got my kit at NAPA.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
8554 posts
5570 upvotes
Trudostan
chinesedevil wrote: You'll need to apply some UV Protectant + seal to it otherwise it will go yellow. I never restored my headlights but that's what I've read and seems to make sense.
Can you recommend a brand/source of said UV protectant? I don;t need a restoration kit, just prevention right now. I use wax as a UV barrier right now but it's not a perfect solution
SAMSUNG SUCKS! NO SSD WARRANTY IN CANADA > https://forums.redflagdeals.com/has-any ... d-2098075/
Deal Guru
Jul 15, 2008
10544 posts
4141 upvotes
Toronto
M1K3Z0R wrote: Can you recommend a brand/source of said UV protectant? I don;t need a restoration kit, just prevention right now. I use wax as a UV barrier right now but it's not a perfect solution
Unfortunately I don't know of any. I was researching restoring a older cars head lights and just read some info on the procedure, but didn't actually act on it yet. So at this point I have no recommendation. Would love to hear from other members for future reference though.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4156 posts
522 upvotes
do your park your vehicle outdoor most of the time during the day?
Russell wrote: We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2015
1103 posts
358 upvotes
SaskBerta
I've been debating buying the 3M kit for a few months now. After seeing this I'll definitely give it a try. My truck could use a makeover badly.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6622 upvotes
London
M1K3Z0R wrote: Can you recommend a brand/source of said UV protectant? I don;t need a restoration kit, just prevention right now. I use wax as a UV barrier right now but it's not a perfect solution
chinesedevil wrote: Unfortunately I don't know of any. I was researching restoring a older cars head lights and just read some info on the procedure, but didn't actually act on it yet. So at this point I have no recommendation. Would love to hear from other members for future reference though.
There used to be a product called Rust-Oleum Clear Coat with uv protection . There were two versions, the correct one explicitly said "safe for plastic" vs the bad one says "can be used on plastic"
Dec 1, 2006
953 posts
137 upvotes
Toronto
cristianosham wrote: Anyways been noticing that the headlight lens turning yellow lately. How much of a hit in the brightness category of I leave them like that? Also looking at youtube video people use toothpaste to clean off the yellowness. Should I try it?
Here is how they look.
I've gone through this process several times and it always just returns, until I found this guy in Ajax who does it out of his driveway. He did it for my car last summer and it still looks the same. Definitely worth it if you don't want to keep doing it.
PM me if you need the contact.
Sep 7, 2007
361 posts
188 upvotes
Woodstock
cristianosham wrote: Anyways been noticing that the headlight lens turning yellow lately. How much of a hit in the brightness category of I leave them like that? Also looking at youtube video people use toothpaste to clean off the yellowness. Should I try it?
Here is how they look.
Today's tooth paste is not abrasive, so it won't do a thing. There are all kinds of kits to polish headlight lenses at various prices, but they are a lot of work. Sometimes the "haze" is actually fine cracks and can't be polished out. What I use is Turtle Wax Trim Restorer that's intended to restore black plastic trim pieces that are turning grey. It makes the scratches and minute cracks invisible, for a while, but probably won't totally get rid of the yellow.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
McLaren__F1 wrote: Put on a clear bra film
Film will turn yellow too after 10+ years. I had to remove mine which was on from day 1 and now headlights looks like brand new.

Now how long will these 15 years old headlights will turn yellow?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)