Automotive

Can my son drive my car if he doesn't live with me?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 30th, 2016 11:12 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 27, 2015
2245 posts
876 upvotes

Can my son drive my car if he doesn't live with me?

I live in GTA and my son lives in Waterloo (he's student in Laurier)... Occasionally , on weekends, he coming to our house. I told insurance company that my son doesn't live with us and they didn't list him in our car policy.
So, when our son visiting us, can he drive our car (so-called occasional driver)?
26 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13898 posts
8993 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Yes, your insurance papers should indicate that in the terms.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2016
1754 posts
1176 upvotes
gibor365365 wrote: I live in GTA and my son lives in Waterloo (he's student in Laurier)... Occasionally , on weekends, he coming to our house. I told insurance company that my son doesn't live with us and they didn't list him in our car policy.
So, when our son visiting us, can he drive our car (so-called occasional driver)?
they didn't list him in our car policy.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2014
1067 posts
409 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
gibor365365 wrote: I live in GTA and my son lives in Waterloo (he's student in Laurier)... Occasionally , on weekends, he coming to our house. I told insurance company that my son doesn't live with us and they didn't list him in our car policy.
Does he have the Waterloo address on his driver's license?

How many times a month do you think he will drive the vehicle?
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
12155 posts
8895 upvotes
GTA, ON
Yes, as long as it's once in a blue-moon and he doesn't have his driver's license listed as your home.

If he's planning on driving it every weekend though, no, you have to have him listed on your policy.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Aug 27, 2004
692 posts
157 upvotes
Cyberspace
In Alberta with my insurance, my son is not required to be on it when he is away at school, even if he comes home for holidays during the school year and drive our vehicles.
I had to put him back on for summer.

Best to ask your insurer.
Former Know-It-All
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1496 posts
745 upvotes
Toronto
Any child with a G2/G MUST be listed on the parents' insurance if they live at home or attend school full-time, or else they will NOT be covered. (Their permanent residence is still considered the parents' home for auto and home insurance purposes.)

When attending school full-time, they will be covered under their parents' policy while away from home: https://www.insurancehotline.com/quote- ... e-25-2009/
Home automation, NOVO (HiFi) Magazine, Google Trusted Photographer, electric vehicles.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14917 posts
4358 upvotes
Montréal
OP, you really should ask your broker directly to be 100% safe. Who knows what your policy terms state.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
2860 posts
778 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I would call my insurance company and tell them that he's occasional on weekends. Better be safe than sorry
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 27, 2015
2245 posts
876 upvotes
My son has our address on his driving license ... He renting/subletting different apartments in Waterloo every single semester , so he's not applying to MTO to change address...
He comes home on average every 3rd weekend.... so he may drive car occasionally once per month or so...

I told insurance rep that he's not leaving at home and visiting us occasionally , rep said that it's OK and made note on our file.
he also mentioned notify insurance company if something changed and my son start driving car on CONSTANT basis...
I was afraid to ask rep directly question that I asked here, as i didn't want to raise a "red flag" :)
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13898 posts
8993 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Well there ya go!
gibor365365 wrote: My son has our address on his driving license ... He renting/subletting different apartments in Waterloo every single semester , so he's not applying to MTO to change address...
He comes home on average every 3rd weekend.... so he may drive car occasionally once per month or so...

I told insurance rep that he's not leaving at home and visiting us occasionally , rep said that it's OK and made note on our file.
he also mentioned notify insurance company if something changed and my son start driving car on CONSTANT basis...
I was afraid to ask rep directly question that I asked here, as i didn't want to raise a "red flag" :)

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2014
1067 posts
409 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
gibor365365 wrote: My son has our address on his driving license ... He renting/subletting different apartments in Waterloo every single semester , so he's not applying to MTO to change address...

Your son legally still resides in your household.

You are currently misrepresenting the insurance company.

Just add him, they have large discounts for children/students attending school far away from their primary residence.
May 22, 2007
485 posts
254 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario

Best thing to do is wait until your son has and accident...the insurance company will tell you very quickly that he is or not covered.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 27, 2015
2245 posts
876 upvotes
[QUOTE]Your son legally still resides in your household.

You are currently misrepresenting the insurance company.
[/QUOTE]
Why?! I told rep the truth, that he's not living at our home (only visiting occasionally) and don't drive our car. Because rep told to call company if situation changes and our son will start driving car on constant basis.
From this statement, i was curious if he can drive car occasionally... once in 2-3 months (when I'm drunk and cannot drive :) )

btw, when 2 last year he had co-op semester and lived at home , we added him to policy, when he moved away - we removed him.

and why he's legally resides ?! He has lease agreement in Waterloo...
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1689 posts
397 upvotes

Right, but the way you are telling your insurance company is that your lives lives in Waterloo (ie. permanent address in Waterloo) whereas that's not the case. Your situation is that he has his driver's license address at your house. According to the MTO, he lives at home. Therefore, any licensed drivers in the same house should be added to the policy.

In the situation you are describing to your insurance - your son's address is Waterloo and he visits sometimes - I imagine you don't have to add him on.

Try asking again, but this time clearly say he has the license listed at home. A lot of companies will add a away student discount (discount for students living elsewhere) rather than not rate him entirely.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 27, 2015
2245 posts
876 upvotes
[QUOTE]According to the MTO, he lives at home.[/QUOTE] I tried to search MTO website trying to find out if my son needs to change his address on driving license if he changing his apartment every 3-4 months, but couldn't find any. May will call them....

OK, just called MTO...the guy said that it's no problem if my son changing address online 4 times per year and there is no fee... so will tell him to do it...
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
12155 posts
8895 upvotes
GTA, ON
gibor365365 wrote: I tried to search MTO website trying to find out if my son needs to change his address on driving license if he changing his apartment every 3-4 months, but couldn't find any. May will call them....

OK, just called MTO...the guy said that it's no problem if my son changing address online 4 times per year and there is no fee... so will tell him to do it...
But if he's not on your policy then whose is he on? Does he have his own car insurance in the mean time? Would he not carrying any insurance also be considered a lapse in insurance coverage, thus increasing his premiums in the future?
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Jun 8, 2007
995 posts
291 upvotes
Mississauga
If he's not changing his license, your place is his address.

Watch the bill come in when you're not covered.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 27, 2015
2245 posts
876 upvotes
chimaican wrote: But if he's not on your policy then whose is he on? Does he have his own car insurance in the mean time? Would he not carrying any insurance also be considered a lapse in insurance coverage, thus increasing his premiums in the future?
He doesn't have any policy because he doesn't have any car.
From my understanding , if he is not living with me, he can be considered occasional or guest driver and driving under my insurance.
from http://www.ibc.ca/bc/auto/risk-management/lending-a-car
When you lend your auto, you also share your auto insurance. Typically, a guest driver is also covered under your policy. Should the guest driver cause a collision while driving your vehicle, your premium may increase.
or
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-dr ... le4452856/

However, if for example, my mother lives with me and has driving license, I need to mail excluded driver doc to insurance company and she just CANNOT drive my car.