Home & Garden

Can the neighbor install a security camera right outside my window?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 25th, 2021 8:18 pm
[OP]
Aug 29, 2005
697 posts
164 upvotes

Can the neighbor install a security camera right outside my window?

my neighbor built a second unit with a side door right outside my living room window. As you can see in the picture. Now they are installing a security camera (they are working on it, I am not going out for a fight tonight). Can they install a camera right outside my living room window?
Images
  • door.jpg
26 replies
Dec 21, 2020
177 posts
138 upvotes
Short answer, yes. AS long as it's primary purpose is not to look in your house.
Jan 25, 2021
92 posts
47 upvotes
I mean, I'm pretty sure the camera will not be aimed directly at your window at all so it shouldn't be a problem?

They're wanting the camera to capture people going in/out of that side door and the walkway leading to it.
Dec 4, 2009
388 posts
264 upvotes
Why not go talk to them? Ask about intentions, then figure out what the concern is? Maybe it doesn’t turn into a problem for you…. Maybe it makes for a safer living arrangement in between the houses?

Just spitballing here…
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3710 posts
2762 upvotes
Toronto
This is the same guy who put pavers all over the place? I'd wait to see what the city does about the side entrance, likely basement apartment etc. that are probably all done without permits.

Then worry about security cameras. Install your own as well.
[OP]
Aug 29, 2005
697 posts
164 upvotes
torontotim wrote: This is the same guy who put pavers all over the place? I'd wait to see what the city does about the side entrance, likely basement apartment etc. that are probably all done without permits.

Then worry about security cameras. Install your own as well.
yes. what a new neighbor! we neighbors are speechless. They seem to be working on the permit. a contactor came at night to work 3-4 hours. is it that easy to turn an illeagal second unit into a leagal one? don't know. we will wait and see. as a checked, a second unit needs 3 parking space at least. but the town said depends on how they park. well, how can you park 3 cars on one single car drivway without using paved front yard, expanded drivway in whatever way?! we are speechless to the town as well. We will wait and see
Dec 9, 2013
690 posts
604 upvotes
Toronto
supermike wrote: yes. what a new neighbor! we neighbors are speechless. They seem to be working on the permit. a contactor came at night to work 3-4 hours. is it that easy to turn an illeagal second unit into a leagal one? don't know. we will wait and see. as a checked, a second unit needs 3 parking space at least. but the town said depends on how they park. well, how can you park 3 cars on one single car drivway without using paved front yard, expanded drivway in whatever way?! we are speechless to the town as well. We will wait and see
Why are you speechless? People are allowed basement units, as long as they meet the requirements. It seems like you're being unreasonable here.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
19414 posts
17109 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
miscbrah1 wrote: Why are you speechless? People are allowed basement units, as long as they meet the requirements. It seems like you're being unreasonable here.
He’s speechless cuz this literally is the neighbour from H3LL

Tap on @supermike user name … check out his past started threads about this situation

It’s been an ongoing saga sh!t show for quite awhile

Whoever owns the house next door is doing whatever the eff he wants without permits or care for the property, neighbours, or community
These are exactly the type of neighbours that no homeowner wants anywhere near them
For good reason
Dec 9, 2013
690 posts
604 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: He’s speechless cuz this literally is the neighbour from H3LL

Tap on @supermike user name … check out his past started threads about this situation

It’s been an ongoing saga sh!t show for quite awhile

Whoever owns the house next door is doing whatever the eff he wants without permits or care for the property, neighbours, or community
These are exactly the type of neighbours that no homeowner wants anywhere near them
For good reason
Yes, but it doesn't mean his neighbours can't have things like a security camera or a basement apartment. OP said he's speechless at the town for letting him have a basement apartment. Anyone can have one, as long as they meet the code requirements, whether they are a good neighbour or bad neighbour.

At this point, OP doesn't want his neighbour to have anything, just because they don't like each other. It's easy to have code compliant basement apartment. And there nothing the city or OP can do to stop it.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
19414 posts
17109 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
miscbrah1 wrote: Yes, but it doesn't mean his neighbours can't have things like a security camera or a basement apartment. OP said he's speechless at the town for letting him have a basement apartment. Anyone can have one, as long as they meet the code requirements, whether they are a good neighbour or bad neighbour.

At this point, OP doesn't want his neighbour to have anything, just because they don't like each other. It's easy to have code compliant basement apartment. And there nothing the city or OP can do to stop it.
Did you even read the other threads ?

Basement apartment … requires a permit.
Drilling into the wall of your house to add another entry door … requires a permit
Parking on your front lawn = not allowed
Changing the grade of the property = not allowed
Etc etc etc

Neighbour doesn’t give a flying duck about the rules.

How would you like to be living next door ?
Dec 9, 2013
690 posts
604 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: Did you even read the other threads ?

Basement apartment … requires a permit.
Drilling into the wall of your house to add another entry door … requires a permit
Parking on your front lawn = not allowed
Changing the grade of the property = not allowed
Etc etc etc

Neighbour doesn’t give a flying duck about the rules.

How would you like to be living next door ?
Lol I know what goes into a basement apartment. I retrofit them for a living. They didn't do it with a permit originally, which is wrong and may end up being more expensive to comply now (and the city might even issue an additional fine for doing work without a permit), however, OP called the city and now the city will handle it.

That doesn't give any reason why OP is "speechless at the town" for working with his neighbour to get his basement apartment code compliant.
[OP]
Aug 29, 2005
697 posts
164 upvotes
miscbrah1 wrote: Lol I know what goes into a basement apartment. I retrofit them for a living. They didn't do it with a permit originally, which is wrong and may end up being more expensive to comply now (and the city might even issue an additional fine for doing work without a permit), however, OP called the city and now the city will handle it.

That doesn't give any reason why OP is "speechless at the town" for working with his neighbour to get his basement apartment code compliant.
firstly, as I said, the town is in the middle of process, I don't exactly know what's going on. I will wait and see.

secondly, I am speechless because the town called and told me the neighbor is working on a permit. I asked how they could even get a permit for second unit since they don't have 3 exterior parking space as the town posted on its website (see the picture). the town told me well it depends on how the park blah blah. I feel speechless because it doesn't make sense. you require 3 exterior parking for a second unit but it is also ok if people can squeeze 3 cars on a single car driveway(which they can not without parking on paved front lawn and expanded driveway and curbside lawn)? BTW, the neighbor simply can't handle their 3 cars. they already got I don't know how many parking tickets. And they just run over neighbors' drive way, sidewalk, and curbside lawn to park their cars. (you can can see my anothrer post couple days ago to see how the neighbor play stun parking)

anyway, we are law abiding people, we do everything through right procedure. Just questioning something the town told me. I am allowed right? We will wait and see.
Images
  • su1.png
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4074 posts
1198 upvotes
GTA
Some home security cameras can have a very wide field of view so even if it appears as though it's not pointed anywhere near your property it may very well still capture a fair bit.

On the other hand, it may deter thieves which would be beneficial for you also.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
13837 posts
11006 upvotes
GTA, ON
supermike wrote: firstly, as I said, the town is in the middle of process, I don't exactly know what's going on. I will wait and see.

secondly, I am speechless because the town called and told me the neighbor is working on a permit. I asked how they could even get a permit for second unit since they don't have 3 exterior parking space as the town posted on its website (see the picture). the town told me well it depends on how the park blah blah. I feel speechless because it doesn't make sense. you require 3 exterior parking for a second unit but it is also ok if people can squeeze 3 cars on a single car driveway(which they can not without parking on paved front lawn and expanded driveway and curbside lawn)? BTW, the neighbor simply can't handle their 3 cars. they already got I don't know how many parking tickets. And they just run over neighbors' drive way, sidewalk, and curbside lawn to park their cars. (you can can see my anothrer post couple days ago to see how the neighbor play stun parking)

anyway, we are law abiding people, we do everything through right procedure. Just questioning something the town told me. I am allowed right? We will wait and see.
Maybe money is passing hands as in under the table, or someone knows someone and there is back scratching involved. If things do not look right, and it eventually gets passed, have you tried going above bylaw, like speaking to the supervisor, or even the ward councilor?
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10855 posts
6116 upvotes
Paris
chimaican wrote: Maybe money is passing hands as in under the table, or someone knows someone and there is back scratching involved. If things do not look right, and it eventually gets passed, have you tried going above bylaw, like speaking to the supervisor, or even the ward councilor?
More likely the city won’t comment on specifics for this neighbour. They won’t say “yes or no” to a random phone call from someone who says they are a concerned neighbour.
[OP]
Aug 29, 2005
697 posts
164 upvotes
chimaican wrote: Maybe money is passing hands as in under the table, or someone knows someone and there is back scratching involved. If things do not look right, and it eventually gets passed, have you tried going above bylaw, like speaking to the supervisor, or even the ward councilor?
I don't know. have to wait and see. It is in the process and we neighbors don't know any details. Just were told by the town the neighbor is working on a permit. that's all we know. I am just wondering if the neighbor's illeagal basement doesn't even meet the basic requirement like 3 exterior parking as the town posted on its own website, why even start the permit application process? don't know, scratching my head. have to wait and see.
[OP]
Aug 29, 2005
697 posts
164 upvotes
Jerico wrote: More likely the city won’t comment on specifics for this neighbour. They won’t say “yes or no” to a random phone call from someone who says they are a concerned neighbour.
no, the city called me to follow up my complaint. I didn't call them. but you might be right. the city might not want to reveal what they are exactly doing. Just blah blah to let me go. :)
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5692 posts
1741 upvotes
0 downvotes
the question should be changed to: "Can the neighbor install a security camera right outside their side entrance? its awfully close to my side window"
Hi
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4420 posts
2350 upvotes
I wonder how many smart cars will fit on a single car driveway?
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10855 posts
6116 upvotes
Paris
supermike wrote: no, the city called me to follow up my complaint. I didn't call them. but you might be right. the city might not want to reveal what they are exactly doing. Just blah blah to let me go. :)
Either way, it’s still not your business with an ongoing investigation of complaints around permits etc. (I mean, it IS but to them it’s not)