Can New Employer ask for the Record of Employment

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2018 3:27 pm
Banned
Feb 9, 2018
6 posts
1 upvote

Can New Employer ask for the Record of Employment

Hi I applied for job in cibc bank and got a conditional offer letter, In 2 days I am going to start the training they went through criminal and credit check and employment check but now the hr is asking for record of employment for one of my last three jobs I have done in Canada and i don't want to share the particulars with them but want the job what should I do and can i refuse to share the info and still be working with the company and is it legal to ask for ROE please provide the link of gov website if any one knows about the law
9 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
They can ask for whatever they want, but your ROE's sole purpose is for EI. It's not something you're legally obligated to provide them.
Sep 11, 2011
370 posts
142 upvotes
MandiS805347 wrote: so what should i do now
Why haven't you asked them why they are asking for your ROE? My suspicion is they want to know why you left them. I would call them back and tell them you'll give them references.
I personally would't give them a copy, but if you really, really, really want the job set up a My Service Canada Account, print them, and black out your SIN #, and the section that tells them why you left. If the ROE was a paper copy you handed in you can't print it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
7081 posts
5209 upvotes
More than likely what happened is that whatever you wanted to hide from the bank, they now know.

Contrary to popular belief, past employers can say more than positive things about employees that no longer work there.

Should have been honest about what happened.

But that probably would have meant you wouldn't get the offer in the first place.

The fact that you want to hide behind some law pretty much means you want them to hire you while hiding the truth,
Banned
Feb 9, 2018
6 posts
1 upvote
renoldman wrote: More than likely what happened is that whatever you wanted to hide from the bank, they now know.

Contrary to popular belief, past employers can say more than positive things about employees that no longer work there.

Should have been honest about what happened.

But that probably would have meant you wouldn't get the offer in the first place.

The fact that you want to hide behind some law pretty much means you want them to hire you while hiding the truth,
I know but what should I do now
Oct 12, 2005
424 posts
244 upvotes
Markham, ON
When I left my last job, that company did not file ROEs electronically. They were hand-written. I had to mail the original to Service Canada for EI purposes. I did scan it and kept a copy electronically. You can tell them you mailed it to Service Canada and didn't make a copy.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8541 posts
2655 upvotes
Toronto
MandiS805347 wrote: I know but what should I do now
If you can not produce what they are asking, then either say bye bye to the job. I can see you lie on your interview and they give you a chance to proves otherwise. Telling them more lies that what other say (my ROE are filed electronically and hard to obtain) will leads you to your doom.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2006
5351 posts
2459 upvotes
This is CIBC so I know exactly why they're asking for an ROE. The check on your past employment raised a question(s). This could be if a past employer won't verify that you worked there (more common than people think). The ROE is proof that you did work there. However, if the ROE identifies your departure as for example a Dismissal, then CIBC will see that.

CIBC does use any tiny reason to change their minds about hiring someone. Unfortunately, I'd recommend that you immediately start looking for another job. Based on my experience having seen this situation at CIBC, I don't expect the outcome to be in your favour.