Automotive

Can not store vehicle more than 364 days?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 28th, 2021 3:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2015
1919 posts
1081 upvotes
Vaughan, ON

Can not store vehicle more than 364 days?

I am with Desjardin insurance and due to covid19 I have been storing my vehicle for almost a year and now I can't do it anymore as it will exceeding 364 days... it seems that what I can do is skip one day and initiate a new storing period... Is this how everyone else experiencing with their brokers?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2570 posts
1287 upvotes
Hometown
Did they indicate what would happen if you did let it lapse. Would you have to get the vehicle recertified to get it re-registered? If you did not let the registration lapse as you were allowed to do.... I don't get it? I can understand if the car was a certain number of years old like 12 or 15. I ran into that one time when I had a vehicle that was 16 yrs old. Once it was that old I had to get it certified every spring when I brought it out for the summer. Economical insisted on that, but they were the cheapest by a couple hundred bucks a year back then so it was a no brainer. Spend 35.00 at the time for a safety save about 6 times that.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6726 posts
4296 upvotes
Toronto
I am with western and was only paying $20 for my 3rd car that only had fire/theft fell off the insurance other day too.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1387 posts
1422 upvotes
ON
xuanzh wrote: I am with Desjardin insurance and due to covid19 I have been storing my vehicle for almost a year and now I can't do it anymore as it will exceeding 364 days... it seems that what I can do is skip one day and initiate a new storing period... Is this how everyone else experiencing with their brokers?
I’m with Desjardins and I too had put my car under storage, 3 months at a time as I was told that’s the minimum period required for storage. However after a couple of storage renewals I sold my car so I didn’t reach the 1 year mark.

But if I am understanding your situation correctly, you can bring your car under full insurance for 1 day and then put it back to storage to restart the 1 year timeline?
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2015
1262 posts
823 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
I'm with TDMM, had a spare vehicle sitting on fire/theft for over 2 years, which I just sold recently. During that whole time, I never had to reinstate full coverage.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15102 upvotes
Just change insurance companies, problem solved. There's almost certainly an insurance company that will take like $20-40 from you a month to insure you for super unlikely fire/theft while it's sitting there parked. It's basically free for them money, esp. if your car is garaged. Plus you'll be more likely to return to full rate/coverage with them once you do start driving it again.

Current company is just being dumb.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2015
1919 posts
1081 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
Holystone wrote: I’m with Desjardins and I too had put my car under storage, 3 months at a time as I was told that’s the minimum period required for storage. However after a couple of storage renewals I sold my car so I didn’t reach the 1 year mark.

But if I am understanding your situation correctly, you can bring your car under full insurance for 1 day and then put it back to storage to restart the 1 year timeline?
Yes exactly, bring back the car for 1 day and initiate another storing. but the problem is that, for initiating another storage, the initial 60 days, which is minimum storing period required will not get full 2 months refund, only 1.2 months moneyback probably. So technically, you would loose around 1 month of saving.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2015
1919 posts
1081 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
ES_Revenge wrote: Just change insurance companies, problem solved. There's almost certainly an insurance company that will take like $20-40 from you a month to insure you for super unlikely fire/theft while it's sitting there parked. It's basically free for them money, esp. if your car is garaged. Plus you'll be more likely to return to full rate/coverage with them once you do start driving it again.

Current company is just being dumb.
Desjardin was the cheapest Disappointed Face all other insurance I had quoted cost at least $30~40 more so than Desjardin.... at least that was 3 years ago when I wanted to switch a company..
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4142 posts
2925 upvotes
Montreal
xuanzh wrote: Desjardin was the cheapest Disappointed Face all other insurance I had quoted cost at least $30~40 more so than Desjardin.... at least that was 3 years ago when I wanted to switch a company..
That probably changed, you gotta switch every year or two to get the best rate unfortunately, if you stay with one they raise your rate every year even with zero claim.

Of course none of them give a damn if you stay or go, there are only so many companies people can jump around to.
Jun 24, 2005
701 posts
116 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I'm with thepersonal - basically is Desjardin, and their min temp storage time is 45 days.

Last year, I kept one of my cars in storage from mid March to Jan of this year. I started the car once in awhile to keep the engine lubricated, but when I drove it, the tires seemed to have gotten a flat spot. Luckily, it corrected itself. This year, I still keep it stored for 45 days, then I drive it for a few weeks before storing it again. Not running the car for awhile isn't good for it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37864 posts
23963 upvotes
Center of Universe
I'm with Co-operators (previously Coseco) and have 2 summer vehicles in storage for 3 straight years now.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4627 posts
4880 upvotes
GTA
I had a car in storage on comprehensive coverage only with Intact insurance, and when it was approaching the 2 year mark, they told me they were ending the coverage. The car wasn't being used and wasn't worth anything, so we just scrapped it.

If Desjardains is telling you that you can start a new comprehensive policy a day or two after the current policy expires, why not just do that? Probably the easiest option compared to switching insurance companies. Are you worried about the 1 day lapse of coverage?