Can not use Tangerine debit card now!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2017 12:55 pm
[OP]
Sep 10, 2017
20 posts
10 upvotes

Can not use Tangerine debit card now!

Got declined at grocery store. Called and they said the service is outage and have no idea when it will be back to normal?!
10 replies
Nov 11, 2006
404 posts
246 upvotes
@ home
Cash is King

I am guilty of not having cash on me most the time though ..
[OP]
Sep 10, 2017
20 posts
10 upvotes
Just tried to use it at another store. It works now.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
3473 posts
1202 upvotes
Quebec
Sometime, its the store terminal that have probleme with specific card... Happened to me few time at specific store.
Feb 17, 2017
860 posts
534 upvotes
Calgary
HyperTech wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 6:52 pm
Sometime, its the store terminal that have probleme with specific card... Happened to me few time at specific store.
Especially with debit as they can’t process transactions offline (not get authorization from bank), where as with credit they can just store all the transactions until the system comes back up and batch them out.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
1079 posts
527 upvotes
I always have have @ 100 cash on me just for those situations. Other than that, I use credit cards.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
5621 posts
5588 upvotes
Vancouver
User455957 wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 8:24 pm
I always have have @ 100 cash on me just for those situations. Other than that, I use credit cards.
Me too. It came in handy when the Interac network suddenly went down all over Vancouver and nobody could pay with any credit or debit card. I was in the supermarket when it happened, and got to go to the front of the line with my cash. Almost everyone else was clutching their plastic wondering if they were going to have anything to eat that night. Some of them actually looked panic stricken. The outage lasted 45 minutes and caused such pandemonium that it was the top story on the 6 o'clock news that night. This was nearly 20 years ago. I can't imagine how much worse things would be if this happened today.

I always have between $100 and $250 cash on me at all times, which I rarely use, but it's there when I need it.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
1739 posts
943 upvotes
Newton Brook, ON
Holding cash for things that regularly require cash sounds good.

Holding $100 to $3000 in cash to protect against freak accidents that occur for a few hours or once in 20 years sounds like a terrible insurance deal.
You need someone with an umbrella not a fork
Dec 21, 2007
604 posts
145 upvotes
Scarborough
I typically keep at least a few hundred at home, and $50-100 in the wallet, just in case. Also helps when you end up going out with friends impromptu and need to split the bill. Money at home is both so I don't need to visit an ATM that often, and also 'just in case' there is an issue like mentioned, and I need a few hundred to pay for groceries until processing systems are restored.
HyperTech wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 2:10 am
Me too, between 2-3k
If you mean you walk around with $2-3K in your wallet, why? That sounds like an easy way to end up being robbed...plus either your wallet would be insanely thick, or the bills to be broken would be huge.
I am the Stig's brother's cousin's friend's former roommate.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
3473 posts
1202 upvotes
Quebec
Nobody else know i have that much money in my wallet than you guys...