• Dec 10th, 2017 7:08 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 26, 2017
159 posts
26 upvotes

Can ppl guide me on which TV to buy ?

There is 3d tv, curve tv, 4k tv, oled, led, , android tv, uhd. all this crap can someone guide me on what to purchase ??

my budget: up to 1k (most likely going to buy either used or new one from kijiji )

size: 55inch - 60 inch
42 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3012 posts
1601 upvotes
3d tv dead
Curve TV is silly
4K/UHD : don't believe in UHD-certified cr@p, check rtings
Android TV: nice to have but non-essential

OLED > FALD >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> edge-lit
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6900 posts
3871 upvotes
Mississauga
Plasma or gtfo.

Sadly, they don't make them anymore...
Sep 16, 2006
899 posts
178 upvotes
Pickering
mrweather wrote: Plasma or gtfo.

Sadly, they don't make them anymore...
Clearly you haven't watched a quality OLED TV. They eclipse plasma in every way ;).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6900 posts
3871 upvotes
Mississauga
"Quality" being the key word. I've seem some crappy so-called OLEDs before.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
10513 posts
4637 upvotes
Mistersprinkles wrote: Clearly you haven't watched a quality OLED TV. They eclipse plasma in every way ;).
Not any of the ones I have looked at. ( was looking as recently as last week)

They still lack the deep warm natural color depth you only get with a high end plasma.

My F8500 won't be going anywhere any time soon, for that reason alone.
Sep 16, 2006
899 posts
178 upvotes
Pickering
Gutty96 wrote: Not any of the ones I have looked at. ( was looking as recently as last week)

They still lack the deep warm natural color depth you only get with a high end plasma.

My F8500 won't be going anywhere any time soon, for that reason alone.
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. OLED looks better to me.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4121 posts
1255 upvotes
With ~$1k budget. Probably best you can aim for is something around 55" 4k LED TV with limited HDR. Smart function will probably be built in but will it be useful is another matter. If you boost your budget to about $1250 I am sure you'll have a lot more choices especially with black friday around the corner.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 26, 2017
159 posts
26 upvotes
coilz wrote: With ~$1k budget. Probably best you can aim for is something around 55" 4k LED TV with limited HDR. Smart function will probably be built in but will it be useful is another matter. If you boost your budget to about $1250 I am sure you'll have a lot more choices especially with black friday around the corner.
no but i am looking to get a used tv so a $1k budget for a used tv would mean the tv was originally like $2500 in store...
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 26, 2017
159 posts
26 upvotes
also ppl: does OLED matter that much? or is 4k good enough?
Mar 23, 2005
61 posts
22 upvotes
anvil01 wrote: no but i am looking to get a used tv so a $1k budget for a used tv would mean the tv was originally like $2500 in store...
Holy cow, where do you live?

Around here 1k on a used tv means they picked it up on sale 5 years ago for $999.00 but they have just updated and will let it go for that. Oh, and low ball offers will not be considered.
Aug 29, 2017
585 posts
2155 upvotes
anvil01 wrote: come on ppl help me!!!
This 60" 4K Samsung is better than your kijiji link, and it is all you will need (Flat, 4K, Smart TV, wifi, screen cast) $899:
http://www.factorydirect.ca/Canada-/Ele ... v-W-Wifi/0
“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do."― John Ruskin
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1562 posts
190 upvotes
Oakville
anvil01 wrote: come on ppl help me!!!
Dude, IMO you better forget about all this marketing junk.
You should just carefully measure your room/furniture, and get TV with larges possible diagonal withing your budget, preferably from major tv brand (samsung, lg, sony, panasonic etc, ) but not necessary.
Ie if your room fits 65'' - hunt for 65, ignoring everything else. You may or may not use all these new features, but you would never regret going bigger.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
6180 posts
2700 upvotes
Debtario
I'm in the same boat with a similar budget, still feeling very sour after my costco samsung died just after the free second year extended warranty period. Never had a CRT or LCD display die on me, haven't bought a TV since but my living room feels empty without one.

Are there any particular brands/models/series with proven reliability? Leaning towards LG
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 26, 2017
159 posts
26 upvotes
BuciMaci wrote: This 60" 4K Samsung is better than your kijiji link, and it is all you will need (Flat, 4K, Smart TV, wifi, screen cast) $899:
http://www.factorydirect.ca/Canada-/Ele ... v-W-Wifi/0
but i thought ppl were saying go for OLED ? what the hell is OLED is it that big of differnece ?
dude i didnt even know screencast was a thing see this is what i mean i need helpp
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3012 posts
1601 upvotes
KosMos wrote: Dude, IMO you better forget about all this marketing junk.
You should just carefully measure your room/furniture, and get TV with larges possible diagonal withing your budget, preferably from major tv brand (samsung, lg, sony, panasonic etc, ) but not necessary.
Ie if your room fits 65'' - hunt for 65, ignoring everything else. You may or may not use all these new features, but you would never regret going bigger.
Bro-in law bought that 75in Sharp from Costco. Movies/TV-Shows have never looked uglier. Giant screens are extremely unforgiving.
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet