Computers & Electronics

Can a remote with mic enable voice input for Android boxes, Fire Stick Basic?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2018 5:37 pm
[OP]
Feb 12, 2017
55 posts
43 upvotes
Calgary

Can a remote with mic enable voice input for Android boxes, Fire Stick Basic?

I am shopping for an HDMI-connected device to play icdrama, and receive casts from Google Photos for my mom.

I see some Android boxes come with a voice-enabled remote, and the Amazon Fire Stick with Alexa (mic on the remote control) is not available in Canada. I am wondering if the remote control below would enable voice input on an Android 7.1+ box not advertising voice input, a Xiaomi Mi Box 3, or an Amazon Fire Stick Basic Edition (no mic on the remote)? I don't expect adding a mic to a Fire Stick Basic to enable Alexa, just that it would reduce the amount of typing.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Top-Qul ... 66367.html

Incidentally, the above remote does a fairly good job providing voice input to the AndroidTV built into my Sony TV. In fact, the air mouse can wake up the TV and works in all TV apps including the input selection screen. I essentially do not use the original Sony remote now.
3 replies
Jan 12, 2017
599 posts
219 upvotes
The link suggests "Remote Control No Mic", glad yours work. Remote microphones would require the receiver to have an analogue to digital capability, this would be driver hardware in the box/tv
[OP]
Feb 12, 2017
55 posts
43 upvotes
Calgary
Sorry I gave an incorrect link. At least four versions of the remote with the same button layout exist. Here is another link for reference.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3D-Air- ... 48891.html

Indeed the remote control and its USB receiver act together as microphone, analog to digital converter, mouse, and keyboard. My question is whether a generic Android box will take voice input in lieu of keyboard input and for Google search if a USB mic is connected. In other words, does the firmware on an Android box with a voice remote have any customization for voice input?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
7574 posts
4451 upvotes
Global Village
The Canadian version of the Fire TV stick doesn't support voice input, even you connect a mic voice input won't work. The US version of the stick does and that remote has a mic.
All day I dream about sports

My Banks: Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)