Shopping Discussion

Can a retailer charge me for the original "free shipping"?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 22nd, 2021 1:17 am
[OP]
Mar 28, 2019
34 posts
36 upvotes

Can a retailer charge me for the original "free shipping"?

I bought a small laundry dryer for my appartement from solorock.ca and wasn't able to be home when the delivery attempts where made by fedex to give a signature and receive it. I don't have a car so I wasn't able to go pick up the machine either. It was sent back to the retailer and they refunded partially. They are charging me $69.25 for the original shipping, wich was stated as "free shipping" when I checked out and placed the order, and $71.57 for the return shipping.

I was wondering if they can decide to charge me now for the original shipping that was announced as free when I made the order.
9 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
10243 posts
5329 upvotes
Markham
bigtintin wrote: I bought a small laundry dryer for my appartement from solorock.ca and wasn't able to be home when the delivery attempts where made by fedex to give a signature and receive it. I don't have a car so I wasn't able to go pick up the machine either. It was sent back to the retailer and they refunded partially. They are charging me $69.25 for the original shipping, wich was stated as "free shipping" when I checked out and placed the order, and $71.57 for the return shipping.

I was wondering if they can decide to charge me now for the original shipping that was announced as free when I made the order.
Is this charge for "return back shipping" ?

Technically, free shipping is to ship to you, not return
Last edited by smartie on Apr 21st, 2021 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2443 posts
1009 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds reasonable to me. Somebody has to pay for the shipping cost. I do have a couple of questions though.

1) You should have gotten a Fedex tracking number. Didn't it say when the expected delivery date and time would be? If yes, couldn't you have planned to be home?

2) After the first failed delivery, did you call Fedex to try and arrange for a 2nd delivery? I'm unsure if you could do this but it sounds like a reasonable request to me.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Aug 30, 2019
23 posts
40 upvotes
Not an actual answer as I don't know legally, but you have cost them even more money due to you not being able to receive the order (on probably multiple occasions) so why should the seller be out of pocket for that. They will have lost money shipping it to you (or at least buried it in the price of the product depending on product margin) and then had to pay to have the item brought back to them.
At some point they should be able to recoup some of the costs caused by you and no fault of the seller.

I did take a look on their site and they only seem to cover returns for free based on an order being delivered intially and this probably does not fall under that as the order hasn't actually been fulfilled.

"If you’re looking to return or exchange your order for whatever reason, we're here to help! We offer free returns or exchanges within 30 days of receiving your order. You can return your product for store credit, a different product, or a refund to the original payment method."
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12428 posts
8938 upvotes
Edmonton
bigtintin wrote: I bought a small laundry dryer for my appartement from solorock.ca and wasn't able to be home when the delivery attempts where made by fedex to give a signature and receive it. I don't have a car so I wasn't able to go pick up the machine either. It was sent back to the retailer and they refunded partially. They are charging me $69.25 for the original shipping, wich was stated as "free shipping" when I checked out and placed the order, and $71.57 for the return shipping.

Not a lawyer, never played one on TV, have nothing to do with the company. But they offered you "free shipping" when they thought they were making enough profit from the sale to you to cover the shipping costs. When you had it sent back, they're no longer making any money off of you, so I can understand why they didn't jump at the opportunity to go further in the hole on the transaction.

Check your receipt that they would have sent you for the transaction. If nothing else, you can look into a charge-back on your credit card, even though I think you're in the wrong from your original post.

C
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4251 posts
2152 upvotes
Some people are better off to buy things at brick and mortar stores to save themselves pain and anguish.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
2193 posts
2153 upvotes
Langley
Free shipping with a purchase
Did you buy anything?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2002
5952 posts
5016 upvotes
Vancouver
From the Terms and Conditions on the website..

All products sold online, if original packages are complete and products have never been used, can be returned to us 30 days from the date of purchase with full refund only less shipping cost.

https://solorock.ca/pages/terms-conditions-of-sale

Ron.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3799 posts
2530 upvotes
Edmonton

Are you sure that you did not have buyer's remorse? Doesn't sound like you made any attempt to get this delivered to you.
You have several options:

If your package is already on its way, you can conveniently redirect it to a FedEx retail location for pickup.*
You can set your delivery preferences for your future home deliveries with FedEx Delivery Manager (e.g., request to have your packages held at a FedEx retail location for pickup, left on your doorstep, etc.). Click here to learn more or sign up.
If you miss your chance to redirect your package, don’t worry. If you’re not home for a delivery and we can’t leave your package, you will receive a door tag which gives you the reason and the next steps to get it. Click here to learn more about door tags.
You can also reroute the delivery of your package from one street address to another in the same city/province. A fee may apply depending on the new delivery address. A reroute is a request to change the original delivery address and the shipper’s authorization may be required./quote]