Can rusty rotor pass safety test

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 4th, 2021 2:57 am
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
944 posts
677 upvotes

Can rusty rotor pass safety test

The car has been sitting in the garage since COVID stated, rarely drive it, now the rear rotors are rusty, After I went on highway for 50km, it’s better but not smooth and shinny as the front. Do you guys think that will pass the safety test?
Images
  • 9FEC7C85-8D13-4E9F-833A-108D8BC51255.jpeg
  • 67478309-C3E7-45F9-B359-1413BC48177D.jpeg
38 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7177 posts
9151 upvotes
The NORTH
Yes. The rear wheels are responsible for about 25% of your braking, the other 75% is the fronts. That's why the fronts got the rust off more so than the rear. Rusty rotors are not an issue for a safety. They will check the brake performance and the brake pads.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2006
1298 posts
1024 upvotes
Ottawa
The brakes don't do any work on the highway ;-)

Go somewhere that you can get up to 60-80kph repeatedly, and brake hard to 5kph. Do this 5-10 times, and then drive home. Your brakes will look almost new.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20540 posts
13934 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
jayoldschool wrote: The brakes don't do any work on the highway ;-)

Go somewhere that you can get up to 60-80kph repeatedly, and brake hard to 5kph. Do this 5-10 times, and then drive home. Your brakes will look almost new.
Or, someplace where you go down a long hill so that you can repeatedly apply the brakes will also have the desired 'cleaning' effect.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
944 posts
677 upvotes

Yeah, I did that for about 20-30 km on the country road too, I also hit the break a lot when I drove on the highway (traffic was low). The rust didn’t seem to come off too much whereas the front brakes got supper hot after it. (the first picture is the after the ride).
I even used the sanding machine to sand the rust down before going for the ride, but didn’t help.
Btw, the break pads are good, still 80% left.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19460 posts
22592 upvotes
GTA

+1, you need to brake very hard, just before your tires lock up.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
944 posts
677 upvotes
craftsman wrote: Or, someplace where you go down a long hill so that you can repeatedly apply the brakes will also have the desired 'cleaning' effect.
Yep, thought about it but could not find a long downhill road like hwy90 in Penns:)
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19460 posts
22592 upvotes
GTA
hiker007 wrote: Yep, thought about it but could not find a long downhill road like hwy90 in Penns:)
What car is it? Are you braking hard enough to engage ABS?
If so, it could just be that your bags aren't aggressive enough. Also, for the rear rotors, if your car's parking brake actuates the rear pads, you can engage it will driving if nobody is around you.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
2573 posts
3491 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Passing the safety is about minimum thickness. Why are you wasting time trying to make the rotors shinny again?
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
944 posts
677 upvotes
engineered wrote: What car is it? Are you braking hard enough to engage ABS?
If so, it could just be that your bags aren't aggressive enough. Also, for the rear rotors, if your car's parking brake actuates the rear pads, you can engage it will driving if nobody is around you.
Not sure the ABS kicked in or not, but I heard tire skid sound a few times :)
It has the electronic parking brake, so it won't move until you release it.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1968 posts
2267 upvotes
May or may not pass.

Dont know why some here say it's ok and to drive it.

Pictures only show the outside of the rotor. What's the inside look like? It could be rust grooved to below min thickness. No amount of driving is going to fix that.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7177 posts
9151 upvotes
The NORTH
billford wrote: May or may not pass.

Dont know why some here say it's ok and to drive it.

Pictures only show the outside of the rotor. What's the inside look like? It could be rust grooved to below min thickness. No amount of driving is going to fix that.
Because the OP mentioned nothing that would lead anyone to think there are grooves in the rotor? If you have grooves then the pads are way past due and there would be noise coming from the rear brakes. OP mentioned nothing about any noise coming from the rears.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1968 posts
2267 upvotes
kr0zet wrote: Because the OP mentioned nothing that would lead anyone to think there are grooves in the rotor? If you have grooves then the pads are way past due and there would be noise coming from the rear brakes. OP mentioned nothing about any noise coming from the rears.

At this point, nobody has seen the inner surface of the rotor. So nobody can say if they are good or bad.

I've seen people replace pads on undersized, grooved rotors many times.
It doesn't have to be noisy to be grooved.
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3007 upvotes
It may fail because the thickness of the brake pad.

Or just because the greedy mechanic wants to charge you for new brakes. The usual story.
5944 posts
6950 upvotes
Richmond Hill

How's the wear on the tires?

Driving an EV, I try and brake hard after rainfall and car wash to remove moisture from the brakes. Otherwise the brakes never get engaged in normal driving and might rust/seize.

At the same time, I don't want to kill my tires. Would routinely hard braking once or twice a week kill my tires?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2034 upvotes
Toronto
Wire brush.
Maybe even some brake cleaner or CLR.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19460 posts
22592 upvotes
GTA
mxthor3 wrote: Passing the safety is about minimum thickness. Why are you wasting time trying to make the rotors shinny again?
No, you also have to have a minimum of 75% pad contact with the rotor.
hiker007 wrote: Not sure the ABS kicked in or not, but I heard tire skid sound a few times :)
mxthor3 wrote: Passing the safety is about minimum thickness. Why are you wasting time trying to make the rotors shinny again?
hiker007 wrote:
Not sure the ABS kicked in or not, but I heard tire skid sound a few times :)
rugerty100 wrote: How's the wear on the tires?

Driving an EV, I try and brake hard after rainfall and car wash to remove moisture from the brakes. Otherwise the brakes never get engaged in normal driving and might rust/seize.

At the same time, I don't want to kill my tires. Would routinely hard braking once or twice a week kill my tires?
Braking hard is fine, just don't engage ABS. So like 90% full braking.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
2573 posts
3491 upvotes
Barrie, ON
engineered wrote: No, you also have to have a minimum of 75% pad contact with the rotor.
I think you meant to say 'as well as'.