Fashion & Beauty

Can someone recommend me a good suit tailor?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2016 10:51 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Penalty Box
Mar 8, 2016
325 posts
48 upvotes

Can someone recommend me a good suit tailor?

Trying to find a REASONABLY priced tailor that does good work. I went to a few places to get the suit-jacket cuffs shortened and they were trying to charge me like $40bux per jacket!!!!!! what a rip off !!
14 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2014
1085 posts
419 upvotes
GTA, ON
Tagging myself to this. Been looking for one in GTA. (Preferably in Mississauga). Any recommendations as well as approximate price range would be much appreciated!
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
2200 posts
823 upvotes
Kleinburg, ON.
Why do you think $40 each is a rip off?
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2003
4121 posts
166 upvotes
Tahsis
40 bucks is a ripoff for a great tailor? LOL
Banned
Jan 23, 2016
1430 posts
407 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
What do you think an hour of a good craftsmans time is worth?
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2015
2573 posts
436 upvotes
BC
I think because he just needs the cuffs shortened.

OP - best way is to google tailors and ring a few from home to ask for price. Easier than going to multiple shops and faster research.
Go Raptors, Go!
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3470 posts
678 upvotes
Toronto
zerotwo wrote: Trying to find a REASONABLY priced tailor that does good work. I went to a few places to get the suit-jacket cuffs shortened and they were trying to charge me like $40bux each!!!!!! what a rip off !!!!!
It would depend a lot on the scope of the work. If the sleeves are lined and the tailor has to open the outer material and then the lining and fix both then the price is reasonable - especially considering that from your post it would appear that the same price has been quoted to you by a few tailors.

Also note that tailoring is different from just hemming.

Is there a reason why you did not have the sleeves shortened at the time of purchase (assuming the service was offered and the suit purchased as opposed to being given to you).

I do know someone but she would charge you the $40 per sleeve and would be worth every penny.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Mar 8, 2016
325 posts
48 upvotes
Blanche123 wrote: It would depend a lot on the scope of the work. If the sleeves are lined and the tailor has to open the outer material and then the lining and fix both then the price is reasonable - especially considering that from your post it would appear that the same price has been quoted to you by a few tailors.

Also note that tailoring is different from just hemming.

Is there a reason why you did not have the sleeves shortened at the time of purchase (assuming the service was offered and the suit purchased as opposed to being given to you).

I do know someone but she would charge you the $40 per sleeve and would be worth every penny.

lol honestly buddy it doesnt make sense for me to pay $40 bux to shorten sleeves. this is not a $2000 zega suit. hudsons bay doesnt offer the service of tailoring. $40 bux would be like 15% of the cost of the entire suit which is completely ridiculous.
on top of that, i am okay with paying 40bux for something that requires more work like for example, tapering the sleeves, but just to hem the sleeves and raise the buttons a little? wtf
you say 40bux per sleeve thats even worse than the tailors i went to who would do both sleeves for 40
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7024 posts
1368 upvotes
Scarborough
buy a machine and do it yourself.

a few suits alteration and the machine will pay for itself.

Did u try kijiji ? People have ads on there for tailoring/alterations, u pay cash and its done at their home/residences?
Nov 20, 2008
787 posts
343 upvotes
transitguy1 wrote: buy a machine and do it yourself.

a few suits alteration and the machine will pay for itself.

Did u try kijiji ? People have ads on there for tailoring/alterations, u pay cash and its done at their home/residences?
:D

I hope you're joking. Recommending someone to buy a sewing machine when OP is complaining about $40 per jacket. Not to mention the learning curve. Yeah, good idea.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1873 posts
524 upvotes
North York
Then I think you're just looking for a cheap tailor.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2208 posts
405 upvotes
if you think $40 is too much for someone to shorten a jacket, then you're truly SOL

get yourself a pair of scissors and call it a day.

a good tailor would charge $30 just to shorten the sleeves of a dress shirt.