Home & Garden

Can someone tell me what could be causing these marks to appear on my kids wall?

[OP]
Jul 29, 2017
196 posts
25 upvotes

Can someone tell me what could be causing these marks to appear on my kids wall?

Hello there.

So my family and I moved into a condo almost 3 years ago. Both last summer and this summer we found these marks would appear in our kid's bedroom wall. This is the only wall in this room that's painted, the other walls remain white, and for all we know they could have marks as well but they aren't visiable. This particular wall has LED lights install on the ceiling right beside it. The marks aren't permanent, they can be cleaned with a damp cloth.

Here is a little more info on this wall.

- This room is the farthest from the living room where the main i vent is located for heat and AC. There is virtually no heat or AC that reaches this room, I would say maybe 5% air flow and that's being generous.

- This room is directly across from the main bathroom where everyone showers.

- Windows in this room are rarely opened, especially not open during the summer.

- We have many other rooms where the walls are painted but no such marks appear on those.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Images
  • IMG_20200718_213738.jpg
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5430 posts
873 upvotes
Do your kids wipe their dirty hands on the wall?
[OP]
Jul 29, 2017
196 posts
25 upvotes
Oni-kun wrote: Do your kids wipe their dirty hands on the wall?
I'm sure they do but I don't think they are the cause of the problem. The picture only shows 1/10 of the wall and there are areas with such marks which they have zero chance of reaching.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4636 upvotes
Montréal
So it's some light soot of sorts? The wall is facing the air vent, albeit very far away? I'm guessing your vents need cleaning and it may help to install a filter there.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3008 upvotes
If the marks "go away and then come back", it is something on the wall, my bet is the paint. Especially if it becomes visible in the summertime.

Honestly the streaks look like the average DIY paint job (also known as poor paint job).

The painter applied a second coat (or third coat) completely unevenly, trying to cover some defects, instead of applying a full and even coat of paint.

Also possible, the wall was not clean when they applied the paint in the first place (example, a kid uses Crayola on the wall, they decide to paint it, but didn't clean it perfectly).

In any case, it is the humidity that makes the streaks more visible.
15103 upvotes
motomondo wrote: If the marks "go away and then come back", it is something on the wall, my bet is the paint. Especially if it becomes visible in the summertime.

Honestly the streaks look like the average DIY paint job (also known as poor paint job).

The painter applied a second coat (or third coat) completely unevenly, trying to cover some defects, instead of applying a full and even coat of paint.

Also possible, the wall was not clean when they applied the paint in the first place (example, a kid uses Crayola on the wall, they decide to paint it, but didn't clean it perfectly).

In any case, it is the humidity that makes the streaks more visible.
Yeah that makes sense to me. Or, you know, previous owner murdered someone, cleaned it up and then painted over and now what you're seeing is the smeared/cleaned blood spatter that lies underneath LOL.
Dec 4, 2017
394 posts
502 upvotes
Whitby
Humidity? Not hard to find in basements, but not expected in condos.