Personal Finance

Can spousal RSP be transferred to same planholder's spousal RSP account with different financial institution

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 2nd, 2017 8:33 pm
[OP]
Jun 16, 2004
309 posts
10 upvotes
Downtown Toronto

Can spousal RSP be transferred to same planholder's spousal RSP account with different financial institution

Can I ask spousal RSP to transfer to different financial institution? planning to ask see if I can transfer my spousal RRSP to different financial institution to do investment.but don't know how this will work.

any advise will be welcomed. thanks.
Last edited by weihw on Feb 1st, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 replies
Jan 31, 2017
1 posts
Yes you can, it is an easy transfer. Ask your new advisor or institution to help you through it. You will need a T2033 from to complete it.
Jan 21, 2012
432 posts
186 upvotes
Yes, you can transfer your spousal RRSP account to a different financial institution. Open an account in the institution you would like your spousal RRSP to be transferred to, and fill out the transfer form. Depending on the value of your account, the new institution may reimburse you the transfer fee.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
4004 posts
2871 upvotes
NOT on the links!!
weihw wrote: planning to ask see if I can transfer my spousal RRSP to different financial institution to do investment.but don't know how this will work.
At the risk of being accused of pedantry, your spouse is the planholder so he/she must initiate the transfer. Unless there's a POA in place, you don't control the funds.
[OP]
Jun 16, 2004
309 posts
10 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
Sauerkraut wrote: At the risk of being accused of pedantry, your spouse is the planholder so he/she must initiate the transfer. Unless there's a POA in place, you don't control the funds.
i understand that,plan holder have to initiate the transfer for sure.

just wondering if spousal RSP can transfer to same planholder's spousal RSP account with different financial institution. that's my question, maybe didn't ask clearly.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6679 posts
2996 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Absolutely can. The forms should be online on either financial institution site.

Check first if any fees and then have new fin inst agree to refund
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.