Careers

Can we all agree to get rid of Social Media Influencer's once and for all

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 9th, 2020 10:11 am
[OP]
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
3875 posts
1141 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON

Can we all agree to get rid of Social Media Influencer's once and for all

One of the most ridiculous jobs there is of this past decade has to be the Social Media Influencer. You gotta be kidding me that people actually want to be this when they grow up? its soo stooopid that even my spell check does not know the word influencer as a valid word, anyways its so stupid cus only like 1% of the influencers out there become very successful and 99% of the rest arent but act like theyre the ish and document their entire lives on YouTube and instagram and even film their boyfriends life when he does not want to be a part of this garbage.
its sooo stupid man, its not a real job its a fakin fad it will die down and once its done you need a real job. One you-tuber actually got a TV job from her fame and The TV station was so shocked that she didn't know the basic things about being infront of a TV camera, she did not know how to read a teleprompter, did not know which camera to look into, did not know how to use an ear piece, because influencers are not trained professionals so they suck
Hi
22 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2008
1023 posts
376 upvotes
Markham
If it bothers you so much, just don't consume their content. It's not as if they're taking away your jobs or making your life harder.

Good content is hard to make. I do have a friend that moonlights as an influencer, he gets the periodic free press trip and untimely perks like free business class flights to a destination, but had to shell out the vacation days out of pocket (he isn't paid for any of this). That being said, the quality of his content is mediocre which is why he's hit a ceiling.

But again I'm not sure why anyone would care about his success or failure.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 11, 2003
2141 posts
779 upvotes
Toronto
A few years ago I would have agreed with you but I have come to realize that some influencers are making decent money where they can sustain themselves (pay for rent, food, car, etc). At least some of them are able to make a living for themselves. Also, I have come to enjoy watching some content that I'm interested in, such as Nintendo Switch and other gaming updates. Besides, it's Google (from YouTube) or some other company that's paying them. The money is not coming out of your pocket.

If they didn't have money coming in from making their own videos then who knows where they would be. Times have changed. You just have to roll with it.

GoodFellaz wrote: One you-tuber actually got a TV job from her fame and The TV station was so shocked that she didn't know the basic things about being infront of a TV camera, she did not know how to read a teleprompter, did not know which camera to look into, did not know how to use an ear piece, because influencers are not trained professionals so they suck
The TV station just needs to train her. Everybody starts off with 0 experience. I assume if she was that comfortable in front of a camera then she should be fine after a few rehearsals and some practice.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 24, 2007
1309 posts
1451 upvotes
BC
It all started with the "Kardashians" as a brand and the celebrity culture in the US.

Social Influencers are the modern version of the Infomercial, except they pretend to be "genuine".
[OP]
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
3875 posts
1141 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
thats the thing, only like 1% of them actually make it big, the other 99% are flops and are filling up youtube and other social medias with their garbage and you cant get rid of it.
Hi
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
4704 posts
1042 upvotes
Abbottabad
Dude go outside and get some fresh air. Put away your phone and just take a breath.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 22, 2005
19819 posts
5078 upvotes
Off the 404
They're pretty useful for my company. Also nice to look at lol
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8105 posts
3598 upvotes
Markham
GoodFellaz wrote: One of the most ridiculous jobs there is of this past decade has to be the Social Media Influencer. You gotta be kidding me that people actually want to be this when they grow up? its soo stooopid that even my spell check does not know the word influencer as a valid word, anyways its so stupid cus only like 1% of the influencers out there become very successful and 99% of the rest arent but act like theyre the ish and document their entire lives on YouTube and instagram and even film their boyfriends life when he does not want to be a part of this garbage.
its sooo stupid man, its not a real job its a fakin fad it will die down and once its done you need a real job. One you-tuber actually got a TV job from her fame and The TV station was so shocked that she didn't know the basic things about being infront of a TV camera, she did not know how to read a teleprompter, did not know which camera to look into, did not know how to use an ear piece, because influencers are not trained professionals so they suck
It's safe to say what you said is true to all the jobs
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
6415 posts
925 upvotes
Ottawa
GoodFellaz wrote: One of the most ridiculous jobs there is of this past decade has to be the Social Media Influencer. You gotta be kidding me that people actually want to be this when they grow up? its soo stooopid that even my spell check does not know the word influencer as a valid word, anyways its so stupid cus only like 1% of the influencers out there become very successful and 99% of the rest arent but act like theyre the ish and document their entire lives on YouTube and instagram and even film their boyfriends life when he does not want to be a part of this garbage.
its sooo stupid man, its not a real job its a fakin fad it will die down and once its done you need a real job. One you-tuber actually got a TV job from her fame and The TV station was so shocked that she didn't know the basic things about being infront of a TV camera, she did not know how to read a teleprompter, did not know which camera to look into, did not know how to use an ear piece, because influencers are not trained professionals so they suck
You can teach people what camera to look at or how to read a teleprompter. You can't teach them to be outgoing, personable and comfortable in front of a camera.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 3, 2009
5669 posts
1013 upvotes
Toronto
GoodFellaz wrote: thats the thing, only like 1% of them actually make it big, the other 99% are flops and are filling up youtube and other social medias with their garbage and you cant get rid of it.
There are a lot of "cool", unconventional jobs were a fraction of a percentage make it big.

Not all comedians will be successful as the ones you see on TV. Some might be ok on small clubs while some will get repeatedly booed off stage.

For every platinum-selling musician that goes on big concert tours there are probably a million others that are fighting for a slot at the local pub.

Same goes for online personalities. Only difference is, some online personalities have lower start-up costs.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 6, 2010
8888 posts
1145 upvotes
Montreal, QC
It's no different than any other profession related to the entertainment industry. Like No Frills mentioned, comedians, actors and various other similar types of jobs are all in a similar boat.

Really the only difference Social Media has done is lowered the barrier to entry for people but to be fair, the internet has lowered barriers to entry of MANY industries not just entertainment.

Just because something is annoying to you does not invalidate it as a whole :lol:
Member
Jun 14, 2018
305 posts
340 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote: thats the thing, only like 1% of them actually make it big, the other 99% are flops and are filling up youtube and other social medias with their garbage and you cant get rid of it.
You realize that's the entire purpose of social media, right? It's literally in the name Youtube. "You", "Tube".
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
8555 posts
3268 upvotes
Social media influencers used to be leading edge category experts that invested a lot of money in their interest before they started earning free stuff, sponsorships, etc. 1% = people who have all the money to play with.

Now companies will select potential customers via survey and loan or sample a product in exchange for content. Person must document (photo/video/text) unboxing, assembly, use. Major manufacturer would then have you return the product but pay cash for your media. Chinese manufacturer offers no pay but lets you keep the product. There's what drives the 99%.
Jr. Member
Nov 20, 2016
161 posts
133 upvotes
OP reminds me of the headline "Old man yells at cloud" from the Simpsons
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
9153 posts
1339 upvotes
Actually all those reviewers on youtube in pulling in big bucks while they get free stuff. They are also social influencers as well.

Just as much as the disgraced Olivia Jade. She is pulling in hundreds of thousands by doing absolutely nothing. Dont even need bank of mom and dad.

Top