Site Comments & Suggestions

Can we put all the deals into the hot deals section?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2020 5:34 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
14717 posts
3196 upvotes
Toronto

Can we put all the deals into the hot deals section?

It looks like every year, RFD puts a Black Friday/Cyber Monday section, and deals get posted in this as well as the Hot Deals section. It would make it much easier to just search ONE area and filter by type than having to look at multiple areas for things that can be missed.

Hopefully, the posts will be easier to find this year compared to the past.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
9 replies
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14512 posts
27247 upvotes
Scarborough
I'm not a fan of the 2 forum system for deals during these holiday shopping events, but unfortunately we can't do anything about it this year (back end systems and advertising obligations rely on it). This will be the very last year we need to do it this way though. Next year we'll have a new system in place which will allow everything to exist within the Hot Deals forum, with the addition of special filtered views for Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Boxing Day, Prime Day, and anything else that might pop up.

With that said, we'll try to keep things as organized as possible this year.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15213 posts
12381 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
TomRFD wrote: I'm not a fan of the 2 forum system for deals during these holiday shopping events, but unfortunately we can't do anything about it this year (back end systems and advertising obligations rely on it). This will be the very last year we need to do it this way though. Next year we'll have a new system in place which will allow everything to exist within the Hot Deals forum, with the addition of special filtered views for Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Boxing Day, Prime Day, and anything else that might pop up.

Good to know.

Lol, I can see it now ... little turkey icons for US Thanksgiving / Black Friday Deals
Or Gift Boxes for Boxing Day ???

Turkey HOME DEPOT - Black Friday Appliance Blow Out
Wrapped Present BEST BUY - Boxing Day Flyer

** of course I am being totally facetious here With this post ... but I do see both sides of the argument. **

On one hand there’s a demand by the RFD Community for something distinct. But on the other, the regular user wants something easy to use / search in one spot. I like the OP @hightech ... tend to fall into the latter Category ... spending as little time as I possible can in the HOT DEALS part of this site
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14512 posts
27247 upvotes
Scarborough
PointsHubby wrote: Lol, I can see it now ... little turkey icons for US Thanksgiving / Black Friday Deals
Or Gift Boxes for Boxing Day ???

Turkey HOME DEPOT - Black Friday Appliance Blow Out
Wrapped Present BEST BUY - Boxing Day Flyer

On one hand there’s a demand by the RFD Community for something distinct. But on the other, the regular user wants something easy to use / search in one spot. I like the OP @hightech ... tend to fall into the latter Category ... spending as little time as I possible can in the HOT DEALS part of this site
That's not a bad idea at all! Upon first release we'll just be looking to have the filters and the separate views working perfectly. Adding special icons might be a good second step.

I can see the pros/cons to both side of this argument. I don't think anyone can argue that the Hot Deals forum isn't where most people look for deals first on our website though. It'll be very advantageous for us to finally have that system which lets people have both a regular Hot Deals view, and a customized holiday shopping event view within the same forum. It should be the best of both worlds.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
14717 posts
3196 upvotes
Toronto
TomRFD wrote: That's not a bad idea at all! Upon first release we'll just be looking to have the filters and the separate views working perfectly. Adding special icons might be a good second step.

I can see the pros/cons to both side of this argument. I don't think anyone can argue that the Hot Deals forum isn't where most people look for deals first on our website though. It'll be very advantageous for us to finally have that system which lets people have both a regular Hot Deals view, and a customized holiday shopping event view within the same forum. It should be the best of both worlds.
It could just be an additional filter in hot deals for Boxing day or Black Friday. Speaking for myself, I could not give a damn what the sale is called as long as it is in Hot Deals and grouped by category (i.e. cell phones, electronics, etc.) and you can search it within a few clicks. Users can always look at the post to see if it is active or has been been extended. If it is expired, they could always report that post and the Admin/Mods can move it accordingly.

Sometimes having additional filters can be helpful, but being able to quickly post a deal is key. This will provide the most advantage to users to get the product/service before it runs out, vs. trying to select additional categories, etc.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5380 posts
2173 upvotes
Toronto
hightech wrote: It could just be an additional filter in hot deals for Boxing day or Black Friday. Speaking for myself, I could not give a damn what the sale is called as long as it is in Hot Deals and grouped by category (i.e. cell phones, electronics, etc.) and you can search it within a few clicks. Users can always look at the post to see if it is active or has been been extended. If it is expired, they could always report that post and the Admin/Mods can move it accordingly.

Sometimes having additional filters can be helpful, but being able to quickly post a deal is key. This will provide the most advantage to users to get the product/service before it runs out, vs. trying to select additional categories, etc.
The problem is that most of the Black Friday/Boxing Day deals aren't actually deals in the sense that someone is going out there and saying "here's this product for sale, I think it's a good price", they're just someone posting a flyer and a bunch of people posting "wallet safe" (but seriously, just a flyer and "flyer chat"), not actually a specific deal being presented.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
18849 posts
6433 upvotes
Toronto
Every year I feel like I'm just about to miss a deal because we have 2 sections - the regular "Hot Deals" and the new "Black Friday / Cyber Monday"

A lot of users don't bother categorizing their deal into the appropriate section, so I end up going through both sections ...

I'm not sure what the solution is here - even a question in Hot Deals, "Is this a Black Friday deal?" that automatically drops the deal into the BF thread, but it's a bit of a nuisance this time of the year.

That's all! :D
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
18849 posts
6433 upvotes
Toronto
Even if we could HIGHLIGHT a deal as a "Black Friday" deal in the Hot Deals section ...

I don't know, pros and cons I guess to each way
RedFlagDeals Addict
Jul 19, 2020
40 posts
13 upvotes
TomRFD wrote: I'm not a fan of the 2 forum system for deals during these holiday shopping events, but unfortunately we can't do anything about it this year (back end systems and advertising obligations rely on it). This will be the very last year we need to do it this way though. Next year we'll have a new system in place which will allow everything to exist within the Hot Deals forum, with the addition of special filtered views for Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Boxing Day, Prime Day, and anything else that might pop up.

But Tom didn't you say that last year ;)

Ok, I know Covid 19 happened. I'm kidding.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14512 posts
27247 upvotes
Scarborough
Ramdin wrote: But Tom didn't you say that last year ;)

Ok, I know Covid 19 happened. I'm kidding.
I did say that last year! Believe me, I pushed hard to get it done in time for Black Friday this year but alas, things don't always go according to plans. I can say it has already been added to the 2021 roadmap so it will take many things going wrong for it to not be ready for Black Friday next year. It should even be ready for Prime Day (in its regular July time slot).