Home & Garden

Can we talk bathroom sinks for a minute?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 12th, 2016 6:09 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2367 posts
617 upvotes
Toronto

Can we talk bathroom sinks for a minute?

I'm looking to Reno my bathroom and I've taken quite a liking to the glass bowl type set up, anyone have it? I basically want something that looks good and is easy to keep clean. Any insight?
20 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6141 posts
878 upvotes
Greely
My opinion: glass bowl = not easy to keep clean
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3489 posts
1231 upvotes
Ottawa
I think it's a fad that is passing as people realize how hard it is to keep clean. But it's your house, buy what you like!
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16989 posts
1813 upvotes
Thornhill
steve-0101 wrote: My opinion: glass bowl = not easy to keep clean
+1. And you need a vessel type faucet. Got mine $180-ish from HD PM at Lowes. So still ain't cheap.

I'd still do it again, since it's just the powder room that hardly ever gets used.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2498 upvotes
Why is it not easy to keep clean? What if the bowl is frosted glass or ceramic?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
6087 posts
813 upvotes
Toronto
^ Is that still "glass bowl" ... since its see through - every little imperfection is shown from every angle
GTA Housing: Supply is the only Metrics that Matters
Active Listings has been the limiting factor for past 10 years.... and will be for next 10
Hence I pull exclusive data from MLS and update GTA HOUSING SUPPLY - Daily!
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16989 posts
1813 upvotes
Thornhill
^ and water/residue gets stuck between the base of the bowl and the countertop. And cleaning behind the bowl in front of the faucet. Those are my problems.

bjl
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2367 posts
617 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks guys will scrap that idea, how about an undermount granite style ?
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16989 posts
1813 upvotes
Thornhill
Heavenleigh85 wrote: Thanks guys will scrap that idea, how about an undermount granite style ?
I think it's a good idea. Myself, since I'm incredibly cheap, would also consider engineered marble. We had it at my parents', but IIRC, it is easier to scratch.

bjl
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1550 posts
667 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
We have rectangle shaped, flat-bottomed undermount granite at work. They do not drain entirely because the bottom is too flat. So there's always water left in it from the previous use. Yech. Keep that in mind if you go that route. As for vessel/bowl, I think they are a trend who's time has passed.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2723 upvotes
ON
icantfigureoutausername wrote: We have rectangle shaped, flat-bottomed undermount granite at work. They do not drain entirely because the bottom is too flat. So there's always water left in it from the previous use. Yech. Keep that in mind if you go that route.
Yeah, I got a cheapish sink with a flat portion in the middle which tends to collect a layer of soap scum, etc because it doesn't drain fully. Check that the bottom is sloped properly when selecting a model.
It's not a big deal, just means it needs to be cleaned more often than one that drains completely
Jan 15, 2011
472 posts
261 upvotes
Mississauga
+1 No vessel sink, terrible to keep clean. Undermount rectangle is a great option, but I agree with posters, make sure it slopes well. Don't get marble either, terrible to keep from water damage!
Apr 14, 2015
580 posts
175 upvotes
Tsuu T'Ina, AB
t3359 wrote: I think it's a good idea. Myself, since I'm incredibly cheap, would also consider engineered marble. We had it at my parents', but IIRC, it is easier to scratch.

bjl
I believe our early 90s home has engineered marble. It feels plasticky and the sinks are all cracked just from regular use. I would not recommend it unless they are making it very differently now.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1468 posts
277 upvotes
Grimsby
I saw a frosted glass sink in a home where they had placed a small light in the cabinet underneath. Very effective.

On cleaning a bathroom sink I learned a lesson a few months ago and that was to use an old face cloth after each use to wipe and dry around the bowl. Once you get used to the idea it is not difficult plus the sink always looks good. I hated that scummy look before, no more though :)
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1807 posts
515 upvotes
Owbist wrote: I saw a frosted glass sink in a home where they had placed a small light in the cabinet underneath. Very effective.

On cleaning a bathroom sink I learned a lesson a few months ago and that was to use an old face cloth after each use to wipe and dry around the bowl. Once you get used to the idea it is not difficult plus the sink always looks good. I hated that scummy look before, no more though :)
Ya we also have to wipe the bowl each time but our is a dark blue with a vessel faucet that has a open spout so you can see the water coming out like waterfall but also to touch base on the light under the sink, it's actually the chrome ring that you put under the bowl before you rest it on the counter top that has the lights in it, my ring I got off eBay for 30.00 and it lights up various colours at night. I just ran the wire from the vessel ring to under the cabinet and feed it underneath to my unfinished basement so was easy to install. I like the bowl look actually I have 2 washrooms with bowls one aqua and one dark blue, I would never get clear bowl.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10027 posts
915 upvotes
Toronto
now another idea.. do they make toilets like that ? lol.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1579 upvotes
steve-0101 wrote: My opinion: glass bowl = not easy to keep clean
Yes its definitely fashion over function
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
1776 posts
477 upvotes
Markham
Is there a specific type of solid top vanity that vessel sinks are more compatible with? Or are all solid top vanities pretty much made to be drilled for drainage? I bought this Kraus vessel sink w/ waterfall faucet, a while ago and I need to buy a matching vanity:

None of my friends are able to refer a handyman to me and I was wondering how I should go about obtaining one when I'm ready to reno (I also need a new floor, fixture, mirror, towel bar, paint, toilet, etc.). Also, I think I need help with the colour structure. I like the idea of darker fixtures on a light paint because the room needs to be bright (it's a TINY bathroom and the previous owners thought purple pain was the way to go!).